Spring is slowly but surely coming, and with it comes the reopening of the popular King Portland Farmers Market! on Sunday, May 1 at 10 AM.
New vendors planned for 2011 include:
- Eatin’ Alive, a bicycle powered mobile vending station that believes in harnessing raw energy in both transport and cooking. A Portland company, they use all organic, locally grown produce to create seasonal, freshly prepared raw snacks such as: seed and nut pates, wild crafted pesto, garden wraps, a variety of prepared salads, and delicious sweet treats.
- Good Natured Gardens, a small, family run vegetable and herb farm located on Sauvie Island that grows a wide varity of heirloom produce and seedlings using organic methods to ensure the highest quality.
- KCK Farms, is a family owned and operated nursery in the heart of the Willamette Valley of Oregon offering fresh cut peonies, bare root, containerized trees and perennials.
- Trailhead Coffee Roasters, the bike-based Portland coffee roaster featuring coffee produced by women farmers and served from Trailhead’s rolling bike cafe.
2011 King Market classes and activities:
In addition to shopping for farm-fresh produce, baked goods, meats, cheeses, seafood and other specialty foods, there is lots going on each Sunday! Here’s a taste of what market-goers can find at King Market:
- Get Growing: every Sunday in May. A hosted booth will be open from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM where shoppers can bring plant starts (purchased from market vendors) to have them potted into container gardens free of charge.
- Bite Size Kids Cook at the Market: the last Sunday of each month (May 29, June 26, July 31, August 28, September 25). Kids can cultivate their culinary skills and experience a cornucopia of farm-fresh foods though these free drop-in classes. Each month will center on a featured ingredient: radishes (May); greens (June); berries (July); summer squash (August); and tomatoes (September).
King Portland Farmers Market is located just north of Eliot Neighborhood at NE 7th & Wygant between NE Alberta & NE Prescott. It is open every Sunday from May 1-October 30, 10 AM-2 PM.