Letter from the LUTC ViceChair: City’s New Code Change Could Be a Game Changer for Neighborhood Associations

By Jonathan Konkol

The city of Portland is divided into 94 neighborhoods. Each, including Eliot, is represented by a volunteer board made up of people who live and/or work in the neighborhood. While neighbors have always organized with each other to gain strength in numbers when dealing with city government and supporting each other, City Hall created an official bureau to provide a mechanism for enfranchising communities. This was the result of a mandate for community involvement in the implementation of the Great Society programs for urban renewal, created in the late 1960s under LBJ. Among other things, these boards have played a key role in shaping local land use policy and implementation of City code.

Fast forward five decades to today and tensions have emerged between the leadership of some of the neighborhood associations and the City’s policy goals. Commissioner Chloe Eudaly’s office, which currently oversees the Office of Civic Life (formerly the Office of Neighborhood Involvement) has asserted that neighborhoods, in general, have become an obstacle to new development, and their boards are insufficiently diverse. Rather than working to improve the situation, they have proposed changes to city code to simply erase neighborhood associations from any official recognition.

The ostensible goal of the changes – increasing the representation of citizens of marginalized communities in civic life – is laudable. It is also true that some neighborhood boards have struggled with a lack of proportional representation. We have struggled with this problem in Eliot. We have also made efforts to diversify our board to truly represent our community and we have committed to an ongoing effort to build and maintain a board that looks like our community.

At this point in our history, our government should require neighborhood association boards to be representative; we wish to continue to have a codified voice in public decision-making, so some quid pro quo is appropriate. Rather than removing the entire system, City Hall can be a partner for change and improvement of neighborhood boards. Official recognition, staff time and funding should be tied to the adoption of standards for inclusivity of neighborhood boards. Boards should look like the communities they serve, and codifying this would achieve the City’s stated goals of inclusion. We can build on what we already have. Grassroots civic involvement has made our city stronger and can continue to do so, provided we work together with a common goal.

In an increasingly alienated and divided society, the antidote to alienation and basis of a healthy society is face-to-face interaction with those around us. This means strengthening and reforming the systems of governance that unite neighbors around the city. Working together with our neighbors, we form bonds that transcend race and class and help us form networks of trust and mutual support. We will need these networks when we face inevitable challenges such as the predicted 9.0+ mega quake by developing teams to organize and implement disaster training and also continue to maintain consistent committees for this and other ongoing issues.

The proposed code changes, which were slated to go before city council in August, have been pushed back to sometime in November. What can you do? Write to the Mayor, Commissioners and the Office of Civic Life to express support for an alternative that improves neighborhoods and strengthens us to do the work of community building.

Reminder: General Meeting and Board Elections Tonight

Monday, October 21 6:30 PM

St. Philip the Deacon Church

120 NE Knott St

Meet your neighbors, learn about local issues, have input into decisions that may affect you, and vote for board members. At the meeting, you can also learn more about joining the board or a neighborhood committee.

Agenda

  1. 6:30 Greet neighbors (15 min)
  2. 6:45 Approve minutes (5 min)
  3. 6:50 Clean Air Presentation, questions and invitation to our Clean Air Committee (40 min)
  4. 7:30 Annual report from the Chair (5 min)
  5. 7:35 Election intro by both Co-chairs (20 min)
  6. 7:55 Election-Anjala Ehelebe from NECN to conduct the election with paper ballots.
  7. Eat while ballots are counted

ENA Board Meeting minutes June 17, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:36pm. 

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Sue, Jonathan 2nds.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

Civic Life – Change in Code

  • Presentation about change in organization structure and bylaws
    • Intention is for greater diversity and inclusivity. How to get there?
  • There is not a lot figured out already. They know they want a change, but not exactly how to structure what they want to change it to.
  • Seems in-line with the Police Department’s Strategic Plan
  • Plan to present new code to City Council in August – if they’re ready. 
  • We still have questions about our own structure, if we can stay a non-profit, where our insurance will come from, etc.
  • NW neighborhood is putting together an art show, to showcase what neighborhood associations have accomplished. Jonathan volunteers to reach out to see how we can be involved (Jere has contact info). 
  • Sue volunteers to reach out to Steve Kohl (Irvington Neighborhood Assn) to see what alliance we can build.
  • We would like to be on the record in support of neighborhood associations (geographic representation enfranchised in city code, under auspices of city government). We can do this through:
    • Show and tell (art show)
    • Testify before city council after the code is released (NECN will announce)
    • Letter to city council (Sue to organize/invite contributions)
  • We would like to continue to be viable. We will continue to track this as it evolves.

Environmental Center in Linnton

  • Trying to save the historic Mill site. Would like to establish a central office for superfund 
  • Jere will upload this (as well as 10 other requests for support!) and share with the board so we can comment and help craft letter of support
  • Underlying desire for us to support our fellow neighborhood associations and their efforts

Portland Clean Air donation

  • Clean Air needs money to support the salary for the secretary (work ~ 2 days a week for the next few months)
  • They will get some financial support from NECN, looking for support from neighborhoods also
  • Motion to send $200 to Portland Clean Air to support the role of Executive Assistant (Brad, Sue to 2nd.) Board votes to approve.

Domino Tournament

  • Organization has already been outlined (by Jessica) for this to be on Friday Aug 16th
    • They have dominoes, and rules to run the tournament
  • We need to take the next steps of renting tables and chairs (40 chairs, 10 4-tops)
    • We need to collect prizes – gift cards
      • New Seasons or Natural Grocers (Jere)
      • Starbucks (Shireen)
      • Walgreens, Pizza Schmizza, Jersey Mikes (Sue)
      • NIKE (Jonathan)
      • Pine State and Sizzle Pie (Brad)
    • Ask around to organizations that might have enough
      • Churches (Jere to follow up with Jimmy and Pat)
      • PICA (Sue)
      • Open Signal (Jere)
      • Board members as plan B

Black Parent Initiative – movie in the park

  • Motion for good neighbor support of $300 for the movie in the park (Brad, Jonathan to 2nd.) Board votes to approve

 Equity Training

  • Goal to have equity training before the next election cycle. Hopefully by August 19th meeting
  • Small group will meet with and vet prospective resources to lead the training. Shireen, Thursday, Maggie, Jere. We can take prospectives out to coffee, to meet and get vibe.
    • Thursday’s referral
    • Angela’s referral
    • Sharif (visited board previously)

Walnut Park – serve dinner

  • We would like to serve again – identify June 28th (5:30-7) as a day that works. Jere, Sue, Jonathan, Shireen, Maggie will participate.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Treasurer

  • The Beginning Balance on May 1 was $13,700.23
  • The month end balance was $12,028.27
  • The net loss for May was $1,671.96
  • In addition, the balance on the ledger for the Neighborhood Livability Projects fund is $12,125.70
  • Given these figures, I just want to point out that in reality, the only money we have left in our account is essentially NLP Funds
  • The only sources of income for this year have been interest on our account, Eliot News advertising, and a refund to the NLP Find earlier this year and that’s it.
    • Why no Blazer money? (Jere will follow up with Karla about that)
    • Let’s discuss further bat the July meeting.
  • Other items to note:
    • We need to make a decision about reimbursement to Friends of Trees for  the work they did in the neighborhood. The issue at hand is that their costs exceeded the amount they requested. Have misplaced the summary of the costs were proposed. Does anyone have that summary for reference?
      • Motion to send FOT the original amount of money we voted for last april (
    • The CT-12 annual report has been submitted recently to maintain our non-profit status. There are a couple other organizational documents to be filed soon.

Community Involvement (Shireen)

  • Frog Ferry 
    • Ferry for Transit connect people targeting downtown Vancouver to downtown Portland
    • Looking for ENA to tell the city that we support funding the investment in the planning phase ($200,000)
    • ENA discussion: is this the best allocation of public money? When community centers have been defunded?
  • Police Strategic Planning meeting
    • Officer interested in submitting articles to newsletter
    • Shireen proposed that they also give presentations at schools
    • Jimmy concerned about lack of progress with questions from last meeting. Reiterate that plan that was outlined previously will not work.
  • General outreach about urban development 
    • Shireen talked to a number of African Americans with historical context and interest in the development and gentrification of this neighborhood
      • There is a feeling that it’s more of the same: same power brokers, same people at disadvantage.
      • Methods are being used to take homes and push African Americans out

Newsletter

  • Next issue has been sent to the printer!
  • Always welcome more advertisers

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Next meeting: have an executive board meeting to define agenda for next meeting. Jere to call meeting. 

Adjourn 8:33 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Maggie Gardner

Guests: none

Diversity Community Gardening Co-Op at St Philip the Deacon Church

By Shireen Hasan

Gardening at St. Philip the Deacon Church is in swing. People walking by are stopping to take a peek at what is going on behind this historic church. Community volunteers have rolled up their sleeves to bring this amazing opportunity into fruition for the community; from planting seeds and starters, native plants, flowers, and watering, to laying bark chips, soil/compost, and building. Thank you to all the community participants, local residents of Eliot neighborhood, church members, and local organizations who have supported this initiative by donating hoses, plants, compost, starters, and other resources, supplies, and also monetary contributions to grow the community gardening initiative to feed the community!  Special thanks to Bellagio’s Pizza for donating massive amounts of delicious pizza to our garden party held on May 4, 2019! My stomach still hurts!

The team has so far built several garden beds for diverse community participation (African Americans, houseless, veterans, church members, youth, and low-income individuals). 

Work is being done around the church property to beautify the environment and ‘raise the vibration’. The Co-op is in conversation with Zenger Farms to bring in their farm’s extra harvest to allow folks complimentary access to healthy fruits, and vegetables at the church location. 

The initiative had suffered some setback and in moving forward to overcome a few barriers we are asking for the community’s continued support, contributions, and labor assistance to build an accessible garden bed for folks with disabilities who otherwise would not have access to gardening opportunities. 

We are also asking for a donation of a nice bench for the upcoming meditation area that will be designed for the church. In addition, we are looking for experienced or well-versed African American artists to work in collaboration with Reverend Maria, and current member artist, Su(e) Diyg, to preserve the memory of North/Northeast Portland’s African American diaspora by creating visual art for all to see and remember. 

Come join in with gardening fun, starting every Saturday in July from 11AM-1PM to continue the expansion of community gardening to feed the community and to add a nice, new makeover to the church grounds in the months to come!  

For more information email the coordinator, Shireen: at shihas_2005 at yahoo dot com.

Letter from the Chair – A Call to Action

Hello Neighbors,

Eliot is in the bullseye of diesel particulate pollution. This is due partly to our proximity to I-5 and I-84, but also to MLK, which is a truck route, and the N Williams/N Vancouver corridor. All these roads carry dirty diesel trucks every day. Oregon allows unfiltered diesel trucks on our roads. This is dangerous for us because the National Institute of Health says “the health effects of diesel exhaust emissions… acute effects of diesel exhaust exposure include irritation of the nose and eyes, lung function changes, respiratory changes, headache, fatigue, and nausea. Chronic exposures are associated with cough, sputum production, and lung function decrements.” And… “Continuous exposure to diesel exhaust fumes can cause long term, or chronic, respiratory ill health with symptoms including coughing and feeling breathless. At worst, if people are exposed to diesel engine exhaust fumes regularly and over a long period, there is an increased risk of getting lung cancer.” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11401072/

Since Eliot has LONG been affected by diesel AND has tried several times to get legislation or regulation on pollution, long term neighbors wonder what’s different this time.

Well, a few factors have changed. The Oregon Legislature is finally taking up this issue this term. Our neighbors to the east have all converged to focus the legislature’s attention because of new data from the lichen study, PSU scientists, the ODOT I-5 expansion proposal, the Willamette Superfund recent movement toward resolution, the Volkswagen settlement and, yes, opening of Harriett Tubman Middle School. See HB 2007 “The Diesel Bill”.  

(https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1dBPerjxQcmUHVpZXk1UXFUemsycEFnV3dIZmMwcEpob0dR)

The Eliot Neighborhood Association is joining local neighborhood and advocacy group efforts to take action. For this effort, we need committed people of any skill level. We are looking for residents or anyone working in Eliot.  Our Board needs you to help us form a strong, inclusive, passionate team to advocate for stronger, sooner regulations, and also to help local businesses gain access to the $50,000,000 ODOT funds, which are available for small under-represented trucking owners. ENA has created a new committee, eACT, Eliot Advocacy for Clean-air Team. This Team will meet the 2nd or 3rd week of July. If you want to join us contact me at chair at eliotneighborhood dot org

See Environmental Advocacy for Clean-Air Team: Eliot eACT. 

ENA Board Meeting Minutes — May 20

ENA Board Meeting minutes May 20, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm sharp. Introductions to follow.

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Jere, Sue 2nds with one change: Ricky’s announcements for lunch is at 11am, not 1pm.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

EMSWDC – no-show

Urban Design Workshop. 

  • Jonathan introduces the topic and the main presenter, Rick Potestio. Miles contributes. Goal of the initiative is for growth with intention. Neighbors should gather in workshops to define how growth looks in their own neighborhoods. Their aim is to give control to residents by empowering them to make recommendations to the city. This is a grassroots movement, not to become part of the planning department
  • They have been auditing neighborhoods around the city to take stock of the current environment, see what’s working, what’s not. They plan to hold charettes to gain insights and create enthusiasm and involvement.
  • They want to use Eliot as a neighborhood to test their processes and approach, and hope to use ENA as a springboard to reach the rest of the community
  • Our questions center on process and inclusion. Invitation and support for a broad group of attendees. Broad support around goal to have outreach so that workshop includes more than just the board. That outreach needs to be done by the Urban Design Team before we approve or agree to be a part of it — IF we approve or agree to be a part of it.
  • Motion to make Jonathan the liason from this group to the board, and any requests this group has of the board. (Maggie, Sue 2nds the motion.) Board votes to approve.

Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air

  • Jere speaks to how to address clean air in our neighborhood, especially as new research is published. The Diesel Bill has money that is supposed to go to help offset negative effects, or help businesses transition to newer, more efficient equipment.
  • Clean Air is hoping to build and arm grass-roots, neighbor volunteers to go to local businesses and ask them to do something about their fleets. 
  • Between 4-9 businesses in the neighborhood are eligible to get reimbursement dollars
  • Jere would like to start a subcommittee called Eliot E-ACT for all clean air topics, in general. First action will be this Diesel Bill focus, second action is for Metro involvement. Ongoing topics will inevitably arise.
  • Motion that Jere will reach out to neighbors to find interest for involvement and dedication to be on subcommittee, then allow them to vote within for their own leadership. (Sue, Johnny 2nds). Board votes to approve.

Linnton Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air Team

  • Group wants to obtain building to be the center of education for Clean Air
  • They want ENA to sign letter of support for the building
  • Jere will send letter around for all to read, we will vote later, after everyone has had a chance to read.

Treasurer:

  • $81 expense for food
  • $1.21 interest paid, income
  • Albina Garden’s treasurer has been in touch with Jim about how the money will be spent. They will send quarterly reports to us, so we can understand how it is being used.
    • Jimmy wants a receipt from them, on their letterhead, that they received the check from us. Record that they received a grant check from ENA at the board meeting (05.20.19) in the amount of $1,750.00 from Ena. It was cashed on 06.07.19, per Jim Hvala.

Livability

  • Trees are being planted  – 48 trees w/in Boise and Eliot!! 20 were from our livability committee.

Outreach

  • Chief Outlaw meeting. 50-60 Leaders of people of color attended. 
  • 100 sworn officers retiring, 100 non sworn-in officer’s position that are open and available… Many are curious about the real reason. Why are they retiring in such large numbers? They say it’s because they do not feel supported, wages are low
  • The meeting was a good conversation about how to move forward. One person can’t fix everything. Needs to be group effort. Good intro/liason between Jimmy and Cheif Outlaw
  • Police Strategic Plan Community Loopback meetings will cover police strategic planning process and framework, and get input through small group discussions
    • Date: Saturday, May 25th
      Time: 10:00 am – 11:30 am
      Location: East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Ave, Portland, OR 97216
    • Date: Thursday, May 30th
      Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
      Location: Terrell Hall Rm 206, PCC Cascade Campus, 5624 N Borthwick Ave, Portland, OR 97217
  • Jimmy, Jonathan, Sue and Quanita went and fed  40-60 people at the walnut park shelter. 

Newsletter

  • We have new advertisers! We’re now running at a profit!
  • Discussion about the newsletter article that sparked comments from neighbors. Article used words that were offensive to some.
    • Comments and corrections have been posted online
    • Comments will be included in the next newsletter as a letter to the editor

Equity Training

  • Agreement we want to keep the initiative going
  • Angela Kremer offered to help us find a moderator so we can talk about what we need
  • Further discussion at June meeting

LUTC

  • Sending a letter to PBOT about pedestrian death and goal for zero pedestrian deaths
  • Two new members to LUTC, Monique and Zach. Board approves

NECN

  • Code changes are underway
  • ENA can’t remain a 501c-3 under new arrangement. We will need to re-write bylaws. While we’re at it, we should 
    • review article 4 re: general membership
    • Review article 5 re: definition of officer’s roles
    • Boundary will be re-written

Communication/website:

  • Thursday has audited the website and found that we may need to adjust our plan with wordpress to better optimize the site and experience
  • She plans to do a training on how to use wordpress
  • She plans to do a content review, audit for sensitivity, clarity, thoroughness
  • She would like approval to accomplish “low hanging fruit”
    • Upgrade where she can, for accessibility of content
  • She needs new payment info (from Jim)

Adjourn 8:27 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jim Hlava,  Maggie Gardner, Jimmy Wilson, Johnny Engleheart, Patricia Montgomery

Guests: Thursday Bram, Rick Potestio and Miles, Ricky, Angela Kremer

Board Meeting Minutes 2019-03-18

ENA Board Meeting minutes March 18, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:40pm. Introductions to follow.

Presentation for Oasis of Change (Kathryn and Dov)

  • opening community based urban farm, restaurant, teaching kitchen, community center, live music… relax and enjoy. Body work (massage, acupuncture). Subscription model, a place for families, child-care on site. ($20 date night!)
  • Fully open April 20… first dinner on April 19
  • oasisforchange.com
  • Property on the west side of Williams at Tillamook (by Elk’s Lodge)

COMMITTE REPORTS

Treasurer – Jim

  • Not a ton of activity to report, just a few deposits from newsletter ads. More updates next moth

Community Relations – Jimmy

  • PSAC meeting – attended by: Boise Chair (David), Overlook, Humboldt, Eliot, Piedmont…
    • initiated effort for all to come together, to work together
    • wants to collaborate with at least 10 neighborhood associations (Eliot, Boise, Lloyd, Irvington, Sabin, Woodlawn, Humboldt, King, Overlook, Vernon
    • Coined the acronym TURN: Togetherness, Uniting, Reaching, Neighborhood
    • Next meeting (info offered by Linda):
      • April 11 4415 NE 87th Ave (6-8pm)
      • July 11 @ 449 NE Emerson
      • Oct 10 and 4415 NE 87th Ave
  • Chief Outlaw presentation at Emmanuel Church, April 2
    • goal to actually get input from community, true involvement. Efforts are gaining traction.

Newsletter – Sue

  • Spring newsletter went to print this morning!
  • Need submissions for next issue by June 1
  • Gained Meyer Memorial Trust as new advertiser for full year
  • Green Drop Garage also wants to get involved
  • new advertisers always welcome

LUTC – Brad/Jonathan

  • no real updates this time… attempt to get Boise (David) here next time
  • Jimmy wants to keep this a priority, light the fire under the feet of this topic
  • Jonathan to email maps to board with our decision of the solution we propose
  • goal to have this meeting in the next week or two

SEAT – Brad

  • Neighborhood watch training scheduled for the end of April, for neighbors in the immediate area
  • Thursday has an idea for other training to add to that

Livability – Jere

  • Litter pickup on April 20 (Earth Day) meet at BreadWinner Cafe. Event is posted on SOLV’s website
  • Jodi Guth is the new Block Adopt lead
  • 3 separate tree plantings are also underway

NECN – Jere

  • NECN budget has been slashed
  • they asked us to NOT take money for communication that was once promised ($500), as their belts are tight. We usually use this for newsletter, but confident we can do without
  • Larger conversation about how Community and Civic Life office wants to get rid of neighborhood associations
    • We question why these groups are mutually exclusive? Why not both affinity groups and geographic groups be present under Community and Civic Life?
    • ONI and PSAC say its our job to communicate with our neighbors – this is our biggest value.
    • We need to re-assess our methods of community. Maybe we need another Community Conversation Feedback night to find out how best to serve. Consider for April meeting.

Website – Thursday

  • Overall transition to take over administration of site has gone smoothly. What next?
  • add advertising?
  • what additional content can we provide?
  • Suggest a survey to help understand our audience – to be done for April meeting
  • Intention to do a full website audit, and potential revamp of content in general. Larger conversation for another time.

ENA Grant Committee – Jere

  • no updates

Mural on MLK –

  • Overall project process has been established. Will need much more info to proceed.
  • a subcommittee will guide process of choosing artists. Would like to invite 3 artists to submit a prospectus. We offer to pay each artist $300 for their submission.

7th Avenue Greenway – Sue

  • Nick Falbo led a meeting, discussed that City is leaning toward doing greenway on 9th, but no road improvements there. Cyclists ride through Irving park, no re-direct.
  • City will do improvements on 7th; adding speedbumps, crosswalks, stop signs, etc.
  • Decision made because major destinations better served by 9th greenway

Walnut Park

  • Jere unable to do April meal. Anyone else want to lead it?
  • Sue potentially lead for April 19th, will follow up with Jere separately
  • Jimmy proposed board fund April meal up to $150. Sue seconds. Board votes in favor.
  • proposal to have group cooking session for meal in May or June

NEW BUSINESS

Co-Chair Nomination

 

  • Jere propose to nominate Jimmy as Co-Chair of board with her. Jimmy desires a stronger foundation for his outreach efforts. Jere will maintain central communications. Maggie to 2nd the nomination. Vote to approve passes.
  • Shireen shows interest in Outreach position. Sue proposes to nominate Shireen for Community Outreach position, starting this month, with the understanding that more specific duties of the role are to be outlined in April. Brad to second. Board votes in favor.

 

Additoinal

  • I-5 freeway expansion – visit website to make your voice heard!
  • January minutes edited
  • February minutes approved

meeting adjourned at 8:55p

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman, Jimmy Wilson, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jonathan Konkol, Maggie Gardner, Jim Hlava, Shireen Hasan, Darren Holcomb.

Guests: Thursday Graham, Catherine and Dove (Oasis of Change), Linda Kuhen, Adam Baker

 

Eliot Board Members Serving Up Meals and Providing Community at Walnut Park Shelter

For the last few months, the Eliot Neighborhood Association board members have been participating in providing and serving dinner once a month to the residents at Walnut Park Shelter. According to the website for Multnomah County, “The Walnut Park Shelter, at 5329 NE Martin Luther King Blvd., will provide nighttime accommodations for up to 80 people, with special priority for veterans, people 55 and older, those with disabilities, and people already experiencing unsheltered homelessness in the neighborhood. The shelter will open daily at 5 p.m. and close at 7:30 a.m.” There is no kitchen available on site but the staff is friendly and the residents appreciate the meals served.

Continue reading Eliot Board Members Serving Up Meals and Providing Community at Walnut Park Shelter

Letter from the Editor

Welcome Spring! Soon Summer will be here before we know it. The year is moving along faster than I can keep up. I do look forward to the nicer weather and being able to stop and pause in the warmth of the sun, take a walk through the neighborhood and enjoy all the beautiful gardens and spring flowers. My crocuses are plentiful this year and the tulips are preparing for a fantastic show of color. Soon we will have new trees around some businesses and homes in Eliot to add to the urban landscape (see page 10).

Continue reading Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Chair

Hey, Neighbor!

What has your Eliot Neighborhood Association, ENA, Board been up to in the last year?

In this time when folks are questioning the form and function of City government, neighborhoods continue with the work of bringing neighbors together around plans, issues, and events that influence their quality of life. The current Board is action oriented. We work to protect the aesthetic, cultural values and diversity of the neighborhood and promote projects, programs, and activities to improve the general wellbeing and viability at the heart of the community (from the ENA Bylaws).

Continue reading Letter from the Chair

Opportunity for Dialogue with Chief Danielle Outlaw on April 2nd

PLEASE NOTE: THIS MEETING HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL THE END OF APRIL. Check back for updated information.

 

What: Community Forum
Where: Emmanuel Church 1033 N Sumner St
When: April 2nd, 6:00 to 8:00pm
Why: To have more positive engagement and communication with public safety employees and hear about the city’s five-year plan

Continue reading Opportunity for Dialogue with Chief Danielle Outlaw on April 2nd

Say Goodbye to 2018 and Welcome to 2019

Change is the only constant in life” (Heraclitus, c. 535 BC – 475 BC)

We are changing, it’s a fact. We always have been changing. Our neighborhood is one of the six fastest-growing neighborhoods in Portland and we continue to evolve demographically as well as architecturally. A quick search on the web will enlighten all our new Eliot residents. (Check out the list of web pages at the end of this letter)

Continue reading Say Goodbye to 2018 and Welcome to 2019