Sadly, Eliot lost a little bit of history March 14th when two adjacent Victorian houses on Tillamook St. suffered devastating fire damage. The two single-story homes at 16 and 20 NE Tillamook near Williams Ave., were both built in 1890 according to Portland Maps.
Fortunately, there were no reports of anyone hurt during the fire.
16 NE Tillamook was originally built and owned by Robert E Menefee, a prominent early builder in Eliot. He resided there with his father in the early 1890’s. 20 NE Tillamook was first owned by Charles F Jones who was a captain for the O & C Ferry. He only owned the house for about a year.
Historical information from the book The History of Albina by Roy E Roos.