I recently received this information from Emanuel Displaced Persons Associaion 2 (EDPA2). In response to 116 people dying during the heatwave a few weeks ago, EDPA2 is organizing a portable air conditioner drive.
Most of the dead lived in Multnomah County!!! According to reports they died because they did not have air conditioners and/or fans. People literally died in their homes from HEAT!!!!! This doesn’t need to happen again. I’m organizing an air conditioner and fan drive. On Saturday July 24th between the hours of 9am and 2pm in the parking lot of the Knott Street Dermatology clinic located at 301 NE Knott (across the street from the Albina Library). Like all of you, I am busy as hell but together we can make this a success.
Here is what’s needed,
1. Will some folks identify/locate people in need of a mini portable air conditioner and/or fan with a focus on senior citizens living alone?
2. Will someone create a flyer for this event? It should invite folks to participate by purchasing a mini portable air conditioner and/or fan and to drop them off at the event. People in need of a mini portable air conditioner and/or fan can pick them up at the event
3. We need folks at the event to direct traffic and to receive the fans/mini portable air conditioners
4. We need folks to drop off the fans/air conditioners as they are received
5. Will someone look up mini air conditioners to see which ones work the best and other information
6. Will someone compile a list of tips and advice for how to stay cool while home alone
7. WE need some tables and chairs
9. What else, what else, what else? If you think of anything please let me know
I thank you in advance for your willingness to volunteer
For more information, email@example.com