In the event of a citywide or regional emergency such as a severe winter storm, flood or major earthquake, households need to be prepared to be on their own for at least a week. Neighborhoods need to be prepared for self-sufficiency, too. Volunteer neighborhood rescuers will likely be first on-the-scene when firefighters and police are slowed by impassable streets or overwhelmed by calls for help.
Neighborhood Emergency Teams (NETs) are Portland residents trained by Portland Bureau of Emergency Management (PBEM) and Portland Fire & Rescue to provide emergency disaster assistance within their own neighborhoods. NET members are trained to save lives and property until professional responders can arrive. These volunteers are specially trained to help others without putting themselves in harm’s way. NET members are:
- Prepared to be self-sufficient for two weeks during any emergency.
- Able to provide emergency assistance to their family and immediate neighbors.
- Able to work within an emergency response team to save lives and property in their neighborhood.
- Able to guide untrained volunteers who want to help others during a disaster.
Emergency Preparedness for YOUR family
Planning ahead can help you and your family stay safe in an emergency. Here are a few steps you can take to get prepared:
- Develop a family communication plan
- Make an emergency supply kit
- Sign up for local emergency alerts and/or get a smartphone app to stay informed
- Learn where your home utilities (water, electricity, gas) are located and how to shut them off
OUR Emergency Team
Boise and Eliot neighbors are forming a Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness group to help residents prepare for earthquakes and other emergencies. All are welcome to join this group. Some of the group members are certified by the Portland Bureau of Emergency Management (PBEM) as Neighborhood Emergency Team (NET) responders. Anyone can take this training. Sign up online.
6:30 – 8:30 pm, 2nd Tuesday of the month, every quarter. Location rotates.
Next meetings in 2016 will be: March 8 , June 14, Oct 11
For more information, contact either:
Katy Wolf – firstname.lastname@example.org
Jere Fitterman – email@example.com