Board Members Present
- Jim Hlava – Treasurer
- Jimmy Wilson – Co-Chair
- Allan Rudwick, Co-Chair
- Jennifer Wilcox – Recorder
- Susan Stringer – Newsletter Editor
- Shireen Hasan – Community Outreach
- Jere Fitterman
- Darren Holcomb
- Jonathan Konkol
- Patricia Montgomery
- Sherry Staggs
- Christian Rossnagel
- Sara Ober
- Johnny Engleheart
- Richard Hunterson
- Amir Hassan
- Al’ec’ia Hassan
Meeting called to order: 7:01 p.m. after a potluck and time for socializing.
Goals: All present introduced themselves and stated their goals for the group for the coming year. Goals listed were:
- The work of the diesel committee/cleaning up the air
- Addressing the homeless situation/ creating affordable housing
- Design guidelines adopted
- Addressing Black people killing Black people in the neighborhood
- Livability/Adopt a Block
- Transition to a new treasurer
- Holding a social event/game night/ family night
- Holding a neighborhood clean up (possibly with other neighborhoods)
- Addressing the garbage truck after hours issue
- The community garden (possibly including indigenous plants)
- National Night Out/ Walk the Neighborhood
- Getting the community involved
- Debt forgiveness
January Meeting: It was suggested that we should move our January meeting to a different date so that it does not conflict with Martin Luther King Jr. celebrations. The group agreed to change the meeting to January 27th.
Mayo House: The Mayo House will be turned into a museum “ARTchives.” There was discussion of showing “Root Shocked” and having architectural models or posters at our April general meeting. A question arose about the impact of showing this documentary and the need to be prepared for people’s concerns. Another idea was to have a series of films including “Lift Every Voice”, “Vanport: Lost City”, and “Priced Out.” It was suggested that we should show a series with the focus on where we have been, where we are now and where we want to be. Susan agreed to get in touch with Cleo about the architectural students’ work.
Helping the Homeless: There was a brief discussion about what we might do to help those who are unhoused. Suggestions included creating a new Right2Dream or a tiny home pod.
Goals: At our meeting next month we will break into groups based on goals we would like to focus on and create action plans to address those goals.
Accountability: There was a brief discussion on the need to be accountable.
Emanuel Land: The group reviewed the letter from the Land Use committee requesting the Emanuel blocks be donated to the community. Alan moved and Susan seconded that the letter be sent. This passed unanimously.
Next Board meeting: January 27th at 6:30pm
Meeting was adjourned at 8:36pm
Jennifer Wilcox, Recorder