Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda Monday 7/19/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Pre-Meeting – Dawson Park Concert meeting at 6:00pm

Agenda (subject to changes):

  • Welcome and Introductions – 7:00pm
  • Agenda Additions?
  • (Amber Boydston) Coming back Home to our Humanity: A brief reminder of our African Origins, Turtle Island’s inextricable foundation for our continued success, and the ongoing pursuit of Black Liberation in a once white Utopia – Oregon
  • Neighborhood updates
    • Dawson Park Concert- July 22nd – update
    • Land Use- no update- skipped July
    • Newsletter
    • other topics
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please consider joining by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda Monday 6/21/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda (subject to changes):

  • Welcome and Introductions
  • Agenda Additions?
  • (Tess Fields) Presentation from HomeShare Oregon
  • (Board) Dawson Park Concert- July 22nd – update
  • Neighborhood updates
    • LUTC
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please consider joining by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda 5/17/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda (subject to changes):

  • Welcome and Introductions
  • Agenda Additions?
  • (Tess Fields) Presentation from HomeShare Oregon
  • Neighborhood updates
    • LUTC
    • Dawson Park Concerts?
    • Street Painting – are still going to do this?
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please consider joining by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association General Member Meeting Agenda 4/19/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda (subject to changes):

  • Welcome and Introductions
    • This is a General Member meeting which means all those present who live and/or work in the neighborhood can vote
  • Agenda Additions?
  • Russell and Williams Project (Bryson Davis & Justice Rajee, co-Chairs of the Project Working Group) 
  • Presentation about letter on community policing (Johanna Brenner)
  • Presentation from HomeShare Oregon (Tess Fields)
  • ENA Bylaws changes
    •  MOTION: choose an option to clarify who is on the executive committeepurpose of the executive committee is to make quick decisions about things in between meetings or discuss topics in advance of bringing to the full board.   
      • option a) all officers that the board elects (currently this would be 6/8 of the board)   
      • option b) only treasurer, recorder, and chairs/vice-chairs/co-chairs
    • MOTION: add language that borders can’t be changed without an attempt to contact current occupants
  • Neighborhood updates
    • No More Freeways Lawsuit
    • Livability
    • Dawson Park Concerts?
    • Land Use
      • working on recommendations to developers,
      • 2 demolitions planned on Monroe Street,
      • Mike added offline
    • other updates?
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please consider joining by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda 3/15/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda (subject to changes):

  • Welcome and Introductions
  • Agenda Additions?
  • (PPB officer) Discussion of 2nd Dawson Park Shooting Death within a year
  • (State Senator Lew Frederick) Discussing the introduction of 2 Legislative Bills relating to reparations for slavery.
  • (Kira Smith, BES) Stormwater presentation: small grant program and native plant certificates
  • MOTION: ENA to sign on to No More Freeways litigation
  • MOTION: Write a letter of support for murals in Eliot
  • MOTION: approve minutes from January and February
  • (Sue) Any amendments for the Eliot Bylaws? Could vote on amendments in April if we are ready
  • (Vicki Guinn) Russell and Williams project update
  • Neighborhood updates
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please consider joining by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda 2/15/2021 7:00pm

Co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Monday, February 15 7:00-8:30pm

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda:

  • Welcome and Introductions
  • Agenda Additions?
  • (State Senator Lew Frederick) Discussing the introduction of 2 Legislative Bills relating to reparations for slavery.
  • Neighborhood updates
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

please join by phone if you have connection issues


Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 921 9954 0103
Passcode: 714644
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adBQ1yPQO0

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda 1/25/2021 7:00pm

Incoming co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Monday, January 25 7:00-8:30pm

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda:

1. Welcome & Introductions (7:00pm)

2. agenda additions?

3. Gladys McCoy Memorial Garden letter – MOTION: send letter of support?

4. discuss/ MOTION to approve signers on our bank account (Sue, Jimmy, Allan)

5. MOTION: sign on to clean air letters from around the city

6. Committee updates

a) stanton Street / Dawson Park livability update 

b) Land Use Update

c) Eliot News Spring Edition 

d) other updates

7. public comment

8. MOTION: Approve November Meeting Minutes

Adjourn


please join by phone if you have connection issues

Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 999 6671 7504
Passcode: 138062
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aehJumsFj2

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 10/19/20

Board Members Present:

  • Allan Rudwick, Co-Chair
  • Jennifer Wilcox
  • Sue Stringer, Newsletter Editor
  • Shireen Hasan, Community Outreach
  • Jimmy Wilson, Co-Chair
  • Pat Montgomery

Others Present:

  • Kelli Fagan
  • Alexis Croucher
  • William Van Hevelingen
  • Harrison Osbourn
  • Craig D
  • Kim
  • John Engleheart
  • Emma Holland
  • Jell Morgan
  • Jared Hobbs
  • Esme Harbour
  • Angela Kramer

Meeting opened at 6:34 pm.

Welcome & Introductions

Neighborhood Update

Dawson Park: met with the police over Zoom.  They said they were not aware of the magnitude of the problems at the park.  Officer Quackenbush (LT Jim Quackenbush  James.Quakenbush@portlandoregon.gov  503-793-9681) came by the next day and saw firsthand what was going on.  Since then people have not noticed police presence.  Will meet with the police again in two weeks. It was suggested that now is the time to get working on a solution so that when the weather gets better again we will have a solution in place.  It was noted that Central City Concern has been in the neighborhood quite a bit trying to engage the people using drugs. 

Can use pdxreporter.org  to report crime.  This is part of the city government and may be easier than waiting on hold on the non-emergency line.  

Some questions that were raised included:

  • What can we do proactively?  
  • What are our hopes?
  • Could we have the hospital invite some folks to put a food cart there?
  • What are the next steps up the chain:
    • NECN Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods 
    • PSAT Public Safety 
    • ONI Office of Neighborhood Involvement

It was suggested that we should have a representative from Emanuel on the board.  That was an agreement made in the past. There has not been an Emanuel representative in over a year.

Board Elections – Choose Directors for the Coming year

There was a brief discussion of the role of a director.  The role includes attending meetings regularly and doing some work between meetings (small tasks such as write letters, articles for newsletter)

Allan reviewed the process: We will open for nominations, develop a slate, then vote in the slate.  Then next month we will elect the officers. People can nominate themselves or anyone else.  

Allan re-nominated all those currently on the board: Allan, Jimmy, Shireen, Pat, Jennifer, Sue

Johnny Engleheart nominated himself, Allan seconded

Harrison Osbourn nominated himself, 

Kelli Fagan was suggested but declined but is interested in the livability committee.

The slate (Allan Rudwick, Jimmy Wilson, Shireen Hasan, Pat Montgomery, Sue Stringer, Jennifer Wilcox,   Johnny Engleheart, and Harrison Osbourn) was unanimously elected. 

Jimmy made a statement that we need to have a level playing field that need to be addressed before we bring new people into the board.  In the past, there has been new leader training for new board members.

Pat recommended that the executive committee review Angela’s proposal for racial justice and diversity training and make a recommendation to the full board. 

Old Business/Updates  

Land Use committee met last week.  The city is slightly changing the conservation district rules. They are being more flexible in how the houses can be used so that they will be used more and be less likely to be demolished.  

Newsletter went out and looks great.  Sue is open to people writing articles because she is down writers.  She is hoping to connect with some high school students to get a youthful perspective. 

Clean Air Team: Sue and Allan contacted everyone and heard back from some people.  Most people were not able to participate at this time. Allan was going to send the letter to XPO Logistics but realized that the letter was not ready to send.  It is unclear what we really want to ask for in this letter. The committee needs to meet to hammer out the details. Angela will do some research on community partners in the schools and try to connect them to Allan or Sue. After some discussion, it was decided that we will ask XPO logistics to filter their trucks.    

Approve amended minutes from September’s meeting

Sue moved to approve the minutes as amended.  Passed unanimously. 

Meeting adjourned 8:17pm

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Agenda 11/16/2020 6:30pm

Incoming co-Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Monday, November 16 6:30-8:00

Join Zoom Meeting (phone instructions at bottom)

Agenda:

1. Welcome & Introductions

2. Eliot NA Officer Elections

3. Racial sensitivity training proposal

4. Committee Updates – LUTC – Diesel Letter – crime (do we want an official subcommittee?)

5. Public Comment

6. Approve October Minutes

7. Adjourn

please join by phone if you have connection issues:

Dial by your location
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 847 8809 4161
Passcode: 097864  

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 9/21/20

Board Members Present:

  • Allan Rudwick, Co-Chair
  • Jimmy Wilson, Co-Chair
  • Jennifer Wilcox, Recorder
  • Sue Stringer, Newsletter Editor
  • Shireen Hasan, Community Outreach
  • Pat Montgomery

Others Present:

  • Thursday Bram
  • Nate Hildebrand
  • Jeanine Morales (Jeanine@prochoiceoregon.org)  NARAL Pro Choice Oregon
  • Greg Bourget, Portland Clean Air

Meeting opened at 6:34 pm.

Welcome & Introductions

Presenters:

Greg Bourget, Clean Air Oregon

  • Working on addressing smoke stack and diesel emissions. 
  • Doing a citizens’ effort to rein in pollution.  
  • The biggest problem in the Eliot Neighborhood is diesel emissions.  We are one of the worst counties in the country. 
  • Have been working with a committee from the ENA.  Did monitoring with bike mounted monitors and are setting up some stationary monitors. Have a new map of truck traffic.
  • XPO Logistics has a large fleet of trucks with no filters. The suggestion from Portland Clean Air and the ENA committee is to focus on XPO Logistics as a next step.  
  • NARAL may be able to join us for support.  Greg will connect with them. 
  • Our next step is to decide if we want to send the letter to XPO Logistics.  Allan and Sue will call all the members on the committee to try to encourage participation in the committee. Next steps are for the board to read the letter to XPO Logistics, make any changes and then finalize and vote on the letter and send to XPO Logistics.  Allan will send the letter to the full board for review. 

Jeanine Morales, Deputy Director, NARAL Pro Choice Oregon 

  • Focus on reproductive rights and equitable access to reproductive care through three separate arms:
    • NARAL Pro Choice
    • NARAL Pro Choice foundation
    • NARAL Pro Choice PAC
  • Trying to let everyone know who they are
  • New leadership is working to redefine NARAL in terms of reproductive justice, focusing on BIPOC community

Angela Kremer/ Racial Diversity Training (Was not at the meeting, update given by board members)

  • Angela met with Pat and Sue
  • She has surveyed some of the members of the board but not all of them
  • The plan was for her create a proposal and present it to the board but she needs to complete her surveys before she is ready to present

Dawson Park Update

  • Continue to have crime with no response from police
  • Ivy Street is having the same problems
  • Was a discussion of having a group of people work on addressing this but no progress has been made on this front. 
  • Knott Street Boxing was doing their training in the park which was helping some
  • Need to find a way to address the problem without the law, perhaps more pro social activities Care not Cops has a lot of resources that may be helpful

Board of Directors Update

  • Could we use money to pay for a Zoom account? $150 per year.  Look into NECN see if they have an account they would share with the Neighborhood Associations. Allan moved Sue seconded to set up a Zoom Account for Jennifer to host the ENA meetings.  It could also be used for committee meetings. Sue will look into how to share an account.  
  • Treasurer position: Jim would like to step down.  He is willing to stay on in a minimal capacity as bookkeeper and check writer for a short period of time but not to attend meetings.
    • Is there any one that would be willing to step into this role?
    • The bylaws require a Treasurer position
  • Next month is our general election meeting in the fall 
    • How will we do the election? What we have done generally in the past is to open the floor to nominations and just keep nominating and seconding until there is nobody else who is interested in being on the board.  
    • Advertising: Put on the front page of the website, put on NextDoor, pass out flyers (Shireen, Jimmy, Pat, Allan, Sue) 
    • We need to recruit active members for the board and subcommittees.  Our subcommittees are dwindling.  Many of the issues we are trying to address are not getting traction or making progress. 
    • Put a general article on our webpage about the board and our goals
    • Set a goal of each board member invite one person to the next meeting

Committee Updates

  • No updates

Minutes

  • Sue moved Allan seconded the August minutes be approved. One abstention, one opposed, three in favor, motion passed. 

Meeting adjourned 8:29pm

Eliot Neighborhood Association General Member Meeting Agenda 10/19/2020 6:30pm

Chairs: Jimmy Wilson and Allan Rudwick

Monday, October 19 6:30-8:00

Zoom link

(or for audio only, call +1 669-900-6833, Meeting ID: 891 8010 0204,
Passcode: 253756)

1 Welcome & Introductions (6:30pm)

2 Neighborhood Update

3 Board Elections – Choose Directors for the Coming year

4. Old Business/Updates  

5. Approve amended minutes from September’s meeting