Eliot Neighborhood Association Minutes July 20, 2020

Board Members Present:

  • Allan Rudwick
  • Jimmy Wilson
  • Jonathan Konkol
  • Shireen Hasan
  • Sue Stringer
  • Pat Montgomery
  • Jennifer Wilcox

Others Present:

  • Elliot Parr and Vlasta
  • Ruth Eddy
  • Ali Hardy of Immaculate Heart Catholic Church
  • Emma Holland and Jess Morgan
  • Katheryn LePore
  • Hillary Mackenzie
  • Rachel
  • Jessica Needham
  • Angela Kremer
  • Harrison Osbourn
  • John Engleheart
  • Alice and Andrew
  • Cornelius Swart

Welcome & Introductions (6:32pm)

  • Allan encouraged those in attendance to join committees including Land Use, Livability, or the Board.

Gladys McCoy Memorial – Hilary Mackenzie

  • Hillary Mackenzie spoke briefly about the Gladys McCoy Memorial on MLK.
  • If people are interested in helping with the upkeep of the memorial contact Hilary Mackenzie.  hilary@sundeleafmackenzie.com    

Dawson Park update

  • Neighbors reported on updates to the situation in the park including shots being fired last night and bullets being found in two cars.
  • Jimmy Wilson, Co-Chair of ENA attended a city council meeting with members of the neighborhood to express concern and ask for help with the Dawson Park situation and help for the neighbors who live on Stanton Street
  • Cornelius Swart spoke about how this same problem was addressed many years ago.
  • Suggestions of next steps included:
    • Building a coalition of partners including
      • Emanuel Hospital
      • Home Forward
      • Immaculate Heart Church
      • The corner grocery store
      • Cascadia
      • City of Portland Parks and Recreation department
    • Some neighbors are putting up fencing to keep people from sitting on their steps
    • Adding speed bumps to the street or a speed camera and sign
    • Putting in concrete planters to make it a dead end street
    • Immaculate Heart church is working on having the trees and parking removed
    • Creating a phone tree including all partners
    • Put up cameras in the park
    • Talk to the people in the park and find the root of the problem, understand their story
    • Contact the media
    • Ask for help from the office of neighborhood involvement
    • Be a squeaky wheel: every time something happens, contact city hall
    • Welcome people and connect them to services
    • Connect with each other one on one to build stronger community
    • Create a shared google doc to track what is happening
  • Action steps:
  • Have weekly meeting to talk about this issue. Allan will send an email to arrange the meeting.
  • Work on letter to Emanuel and other partners to join the committee
  • Cornelius will reach out to the media
  • Elliot will write a letter to the City council about the shooting last night

Dialogue about racism – Angela Kremer

  • Angela spoke about the need to learn to work together and address privilege and racism. 
  • Angela, Sue, and Pat will talk offline to help make a plan. Angela will put together a proposal.

Old Business/Updates: 

– Livability – down to 1 member

  • Sue willing to be the Board rep to that committee and get some of the adopt a block people on the committee. 
  • Angela and Jimmy will meet about the Blazers money. 

Amended minutes from June meeting were approved.

Meeting ended 9:04

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s