Eliot Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes 9/21/20

Board Members Present:

  • Allan Rudwick, Co-Chair
  • Jimmy Wilson, Co-Chair
  • Jennifer Wilcox, Recorder
  • Sue Stringer, Newsletter Editor
  • Shireen Hasan, Community Outreach
  • Pat Montgomery

Others Present:

  • Thursday Bram
  • Nate Hildebrand
  • Jeanine Morales (Jeanine@prochoiceoregon.org)  NARAL Pro Choice Oregon
  • Greg Bourget, Portland Clean Air

Meeting opened at 6:34 pm.

Welcome & Introductions

Presenters:

Greg Bourget, Clean Air Oregon

  • Working on addressing smoke stack and diesel emissions. 
  • Doing a citizens’ effort to rein in pollution.  
  • The biggest problem in the Eliot Neighborhood is diesel emissions.  We are one of the worst counties in the country. 
  • Have been working with a committee from the ENA.  Did monitoring with bike mounted monitors and are setting up some stationary monitors. Have a new map of truck traffic.
  • XPO Logistics has a large fleet of trucks with no filters. The suggestion from Portland Clean Air and the ENA committee is to focus on XPO Logistics as a next step.  
  • NARAL may be able to join us for support.  Greg will connect with them. 
  • Our next step is to decide if we want to send the letter to XPO Logistics.  Allan and Sue will call all the members on the committee to try to encourage participation in the committee. Next steps are for the board to read the letter to XPO Logistics, make any changes and then finalize and vote on the letter and send to XPO Logistics.  Allan will send the letter to the full board for review. 

Jeanine Morales, Deputy Director, NARAL Pro Choice Oregon 

  • Focus on reproductive rights and equitable access to reproductive care through three separate arms:
    • NARAL Pro Choice
    • NARAL Pro Choice foundation
    • NARAL Pro Choice PAC
  • Trying to let everyone know who they are
  • New leadership is working to redefine NARAL in terms of reproductive justice, focusing on BIPOC community

Angela Kremer/ Racial Diversity Training (Was not at the meeting, update given by board members)

  • Angela met with Pat and Sue
  • She has surveyed some of the members of the board but not all of them
  • The plan was for her create a proposal and present it to the board but she needs to complete her surveys before she is ready to present

Dawson Park Update

  • Continue to have crime with no response from police
  • Ivy Street is having the same problems
  • Was a discussion of having a group of people work on addressing this but no progress has been made on this front. 
  • Knott Street Boxing was doing their training in the park which was helping some
  • Need to find a way to address the problem without the law, perhaps more pro social activities Care not Cops has a lot of resources that may be helpful

Board of Directors Update

  • Could we use money to pay for a Zoom account? $150 per year.  Look into NECN see if they have an account they would share with the Neighborhood Associations. Allan moved Sue seconded to set up a Zoom Account for Jennifer to host the ENA meetings.  It could also be used for committee meetings. Sue will look into how to share an account.  
  • Treasurer position: Jim would like to step down.  He is willing to stay on in a minimal capacity as bookkeeper and check writer for a short period of time but not to attend meetings.
    • Is there any one that would be willing to step into this role?
    • The bylaws require a Treasurer position
  • Next month is our general election meeting in the fall 
    • How will we do the election? What we have done generally in the past is to open the floor to nominations and just keep nominating and seconding until there is nobody else who is interested in being on the board.  
    • Advertising: Put on the front page of the website, put on NextDoor, pass out flyers (Shireen, Jimmy, Pat, Allan, Sue) 
    • We need to recruit active members for the board and subcommittees.  Our subcommittees are dwindling.  Many of the issues we are trying to address are not getting traction or making progress. 
    • Put a general article on our webpage about the board and our goals
    • Set a goal of each board member invite one person to the next meeting

Committee Updates

  • No updates

Minutes

  • Sue moved Allan seconded the August minutes be approved. One abstention, one opposed, three in favor, motion passed. 

Meeting adjourned 8:29pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s