By Kiley Yuthas
Transition Projects exists to help those experiencing homelessness transition successfully into housing. Founded in 1969, we operate out of 14 Metro-area locations, enabling our team of over 350 employees to assist 10,000 people each year through programs designed to help people survive the streets, find housing, and retain their housing.
We are also the largest provider of publicly funded shelter services in Oregon. On any given night, we shelter more than 800 people, including individuals and their pets. Through our Resource Center, we also serve 400-500 unique individuals daily, 365 days-a-year, with services ranging from hygiene and medical support to shelter and housing assistance.
We rely heavily on volunteer hours, clothing and hygiene donations, meal providers, and many others who choose to donate their time and talents to help us support people as they transition from homelessness to housing. There are many ways to get involved in our work supporting neighbors experiencing homelessness, including:
- Signing up for our newsletter: Keep up to date with our work, community events, volunteer opportunities, and more! We love to stay in contact with any and all interested members of our community. To sign up, visit bit.ly/transitionpronews
- Volunteering: We rely on volunteers for everything from sorting mail to keeping our donation closet organized to teaching yoga or crafts at a shelter! Whether you have special skills or just want to lend a hand, we can find a volunteer position that will be a great fit. Get started by emailing email@example.com to register for a volunteer orientation.
- Cooking a meal: Meal providers cook over 100,000 meals each year for our shelters. Usually working in a team, our meal providers prepare and deliver home-cooked dinners to each of our shelters almost every day—they are key in helping us offset costs and serve more people. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about becoming a meal provider in one of our shelters.
- Donating Items: Our headquarters at 665 NW Hoyt St is open 24 hours a day to accept donations of new and gently used clothing, books, shoes, belts, underwear, and other items. We are currently in urgent need of men’s underwear in all sizes, belts, and cooling supplies. Donations can also be made directly from our wishlist at bit.ly/neighborneeds
- Hosting a donation drive: Our donation drive program allows community members and organizations to collect supplies on our behalf. The organizer of the drive connects with us to arrange the details, and we provide bins and a full suite of digital material to help make sure the drive is a success! To learn more about hosting a donation drive for Transition Projects, email email@example.com
If you would like more information about our work or are interested in making a donation of time, food, or new and gently used items, please visit tprojects.org or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Many thanks to the Eliot community for your support!