Most Portland residents can add food scraps, along with yard debris, to their green Portland Composts! roll carts. This means that residents can turn meat, dairy, bones, vegetables and grains into nutrient-rich compost for fertilizing yards and gardens.
As you get used to scraping plates into your kitchen pail and tossing leftovers into your green roll cart, here are a few tips to make the transition easy.
Tips for your kitchen pail
- Keep your pail in a convenient location – on the kitchen counter or under the sink.
- Try lining your pail with newspaper, a paper bag or an approved compostable bag.
- Empty your kitchen pail into your green roll cart frequently.
- Wash your kitchen pail in the dishwasher or by hand.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your pail to prevent odors.
- Wrap food items in newspaper before adding them to your pail.
- Freeze food items and add them to your green cart on collection day.
Tips for your green roll cart
- Set your green roll cart at the curb for pickup every week.
- Place some yard debris, a few sheets of newspaper or a pizza box on the bottom of your green cart to help absorb moisture.
- Clean your green roll cart with soap and water. Pour dirty water onto grass or gravel, not down the storm drain.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your green roll cart to prevent odors.
Three easy ways to get help
- Online: www.portlandcomposts.com
- Hotline: 503-823-7202
- Email: email@example.com