Eliot School c1951
The Eliot School, named after Thomas Lamb Eliot, was built in 1909 on NE Knott at the corner with Rodney. In the late 1940’s or early 50’s the school’s teachers and students were relocated. Portland Parks took over the building in the early 1950’s and it became the Knott Street Community Center.
Matt Dishman Community Center 2016
Ten years later, around 1960 the city rebuilt the center into the single story building seen today. Very little is left of of the original building except maybe the gymnasium which was probably added in the 1930’s. The community center was renamed Matt Dishman Community Center after Multnomah County’s first Black Sheriff. In the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, the elite boxing team “Knott Street Boxers” trained at the facility. The swimming pool was added in 1992.