Board Meeting Minutes 2019-02-18

ENA Board Meeting minutes Feb 18, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St

Darren initiate to approve January minutes, Jim 2nd, with one change:

  • remove reference to police report

 

Committee Reports:

Treasury, Jim. budget update. presented profit/loss report for January

    • beginning balance in January was $14,316.53
    • ending balance was $$15,195.56
    • livability budget is $14,108.24

Community Relations, Jimmy

    • Public Safety Action Committee (PSAC) – initiative to reinstate monthly meetings to discuss police presence
      • North Precinct officers and all neighborhoods represented are invited to gather to talk about what police involvement should look like.
      • Goal is to have everyone gather to talk and have ideas represented. give community a voice
      • Meeting will be at Emmanuel Church on Feb 28th – 6-8pm.
    • Chief Outlaw held forums to get community input. Many (including Jimmy) weren’t satisfied with their attempts, so he organized a meeting to gather a wider community representation
      • April 2nd, she will come to Emmanuel Church 6-8pm

Newsletter, Sue

      • She needs articles submitted for April newsletter by March 1
      • any new advertising is welcome. She will share rate card with board.
      • Sue’s suggestion to drive competition from new dispensaries in the neighborhood, no objections
      • adam becker suggests we collaborate with kaia@streetroots.org

LUTC, Jonathan

      • LUTC has temporarily paused Boise border conversation. Dave DelaRoche from Boise wants to come present whenever we’re ready
      • Jere proposes to put solid line along alley between Fremont and Kerby between houses and businesses that face N. Vancouver, then along N. Vancouver all the way to the river.
      • Jere proposes to meet with Boise board to discuss. Johnny 2nds. Jonathan will communicate with Boise neighborhood.

Livability, Jere

      • Friends of Trees will start their big planting in feb and march w/ Friends of Trees
        • we voted last year to subsidize tree plantings in the neighborhood, so we will get a report about how much we owe FOT.
        • toyota is paying for own trees ($2K)
        • would be great if some of our board members represent at plantings.
      • Progress is also being made on traffic diverter and parking

NECN, Jere

      • recap of a larger conversation about how our city commissioners represent the constituents, possibly re-defining this. Possibly hiring a city manager
      • setting up conversations with Community and Civic Life Office (old ONI) to keep NECN voice in the decision-making process about this new org. They might want to get rid of all neighborhood associations.
      • ENA grant committee.
        • Jere propose that smaller subcommittee review all materials to help determine our new grant process. Committee to meet within the month, give update at next meeting. MG to second. (Sue, Maggie, Jere, Jimmy)

ADDITIONAL:

Walnut Park shelter dinner. plans for Feb 22, a number of people volunteer to do it in March

Community Garden

  • Update of current project:
    • Jim states that Heru has not responded to letter
    • The planting team is ready to go! 6-8 beds planned at St. Phillip
    • Native plants grant has been submitted
    • St Phillip’s pastor hoping to give $500 grant as well, and a sanctuary out front with benches and native plants
    • Laura at NECN helping her get a fiscal sponsor
    • Pat makes the motion that give $877.77, and any future money that gets returned from Heru, to be given back to Garden. Maggie to second.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Annual Cleanup

  • not sure it’s worth it.
  • Jere proposes that we skip this year, revisit next year. 2nd by Sue

New webmaster

  • Thursday Graham wants to take it over, she has lots of wordpress experience
  • Sue makes motion that Thursday Graham be webmaster. Maggie to second, board votes to approve.
  • Jim suggests we give thank-you to Clint

Mural

  • RACC, BES and landowner offered us some $$ to do Mural, if it has messaging around
  • we will miss the Feb 20th entry deadline, but there are many more throughout the year
  • Jere proposes we have a committee to help this move forward. Maggie to 2nd. Board votes to approve. Will also include Monica, Maggie, PICA

 

Announcements

  • Neighborhood emergency team. Free training on May 7th if anyone wants to be involved.
  • “Reluctant Radical”, march 13, 7-9pm at Episcopal church. Ken Ward, activists re: fossil fuels and climate change and impact on African American communities, low-income. Ken and the director will be in attendance
  • Adam wants to know about car windows being broken. how are we addressing?
    • South Eliot Action Team has this as a goal
    • PSAC also part of the solution

**from Darren Holcomb: this will be his last meeting, moving out of the neighborhood – later noted he’d like to be involved if he’s allowed, once he’s moved out of Eliot

meeting adjourned at 8:45p

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman, Jimmy Wilson, Darren Holcomb , Maggie Gardner, Jonathan Konkol, Susan Stringer, JIm Hlava, Patricia Montgomery, Johnny Engleheart Noel, Shireen Hasan, Julio Mendoza

Guest Attendance: 2 visitors from Japan (landscape, economics and neighborhood involvement), Thursday Graham, Linda Kuhn, Adam Becker, Roya (PICA), Kristin

Advertisements

One thought on “Board Meeting Minutes 2019-02-18

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s