ENA Board Meeting minutes June 17, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:36pm. 

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Sue, Jonathan 2nds.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

Civic Life – Change in Code

  • Presentation about change in organization structure and bylaws
    • Intention is for greater diversity and inclusivity. How to get there?
  • There is not a lot figured out already. They know they want a change, but not exactly how to structure what they want to change it to.
  • Seems in-line with the Police Department’s Strategic Plan
  • Plan to present new code to City Council in August – if they’re ready. 
  • We still have questions about our own structure, if we can stay a non-profit, where our insurance will come from, etc.
  • NW neighborhood is putting together an art show, to showcase what neighborhood associations have accomplished. Jonathan volunteers to reach out to see how we can be involved (Jere has contact info). 
  • Sue volunteers to reach out to Steve Kohl (Irvington Neighborhood Assn) to see what alliance we can build.
  • We would like to be on the record in support of neighborhood associations (geographic representation enfranchised in city code, under auspices of city government). We can do this through:
    • Show and tell (art show)
    • Testify before city council after the code is released (NECN will announce)
    • Letter to city council (Sue to organize/invite contributions)
  • We would like to continue to be viable. We will continue to track this as it evolves.

Environmental Center in Linnton

  • Trying to save the historic Mill site. Would like to establish a central office for superfund 
  • Jere will upload this (as well as 10 other requests for support!) and share with the board so we can comment and help craft letter of support
  • Underlying desire for us to support our fellow neighborhood associations and their efforts

Portland Clean Air donation

  • Clean Air needs money to support the salary for the secretary (work ~ 2 days a week for the next few months)
  • They will get some financial support from NECN, looking for support from neighborhoods also
  • Motion to send $200 to Portland Clean Air to support the role of Executive Assistant (Brad, Sue to 2nd.) Board votes to approve.

Domino Tournament

  • Organization has already been outlined (by Jessica) for this to be on Friday Aug 16th
    • They have dominoes, and rules to run the tournament
  • We need to take the next steps of renting tables and chairs (40 chairs, 10 4-tops)
    • We need to collect prizes – gift cards
      • New Seasons or Natural Grocers (Jere)
      • Starbucks (Shireen)
      • Walgreens, Pizza Schmizza, Jersey Mikes (Sue)
      • NIKE (Jonathan)
      • Pine State and Sizzle Pie (Brad)
    • Ask around to organizations that might have enough
      • Churches (Jere to follow up with Jimmy and Pat)
      • PICA (Sue)
      • Open Signal (Jere)
      • Board members as plan B

Black Parent Initiative – movie in the park

  • Motion for good neighbor support of $300 for the movie in the park (Brad, Jonathan to 2nd.) Board votes to approve

 Equity Training

  • Goal to have equity training before the next election cycle. Hopefully by August 19th meeting
  • Small group will meet with and vet prospective resources to lead the training. Shireen, Thursday, Maggie, Jere. We can take prospectives out to coffee, to meet and get vibe.
    • Thursday’s referral
    • Angela’s referral
    • Sharif (visited board previously)

Walnut Park – serve dinner

  • We would like to serve again – identify June 28th (5:30-7) as a day that works. Jere, Sue, Jonathan, Shireen, Maggie will participate.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Treasurer

  • The Beginning Balance on May 1 was $13,700.23
  • The month end balance was $12,028.27
  • The net loss for May was $1,671.96
  • In addition, the balance on the ledger for the Neighborhood Livability Projects fund is $12,125.70
  • Given these figures, I just want to point out that in reality, the only money we have left in our account is essentially NLP Funds
  • The only sources of income for this year have been interest on our account, Eliot News advertising, and a refund to the NLP Find earlier this year and that’s it.
    • Why no Blazer money? (Jere will follow up with Karla about that)
    • Let’s discuss further bat the July meeting.
  • Other items to note:
    • We need to make a decision about reimbursement to Friends of Trees for  the work they did in the neighborhood. The issue at hand is that their costs exceeded the amount they requested. Have misplaced the summary of the costs were proposed. Does anyone have that summary for reference?
      • Motion to send FOT the original amount of money we voted for last april (
    • The CT-12 annual report has been submitted recently to maintain our non-profit status. There are a couple other organizational documents to be filed soon.

Community Involvement (Shireen)

  • Frog Ferry 
    • Ferry for Transit connect people targeting downtown Vancouver to downtown Portland
    • Looking for ENA to tell the city that we support funding the investment in the planning phase ($200,000)
    • ENA discussion: is this the best allocation of public money? When community centers have been defunded?
  • Police Strategic Planning meeting
    • Officer interested in submitting articles to newsletter
    • Shireen proposed that they also give presentations at schools
    • Jimmy concerned about lack of progress with questions from last meeting. Reiterate that plan that was outlined previously will not work.
  • General outreach about urban development 
    • Shireen talked to a number of African Americans with historical context and interest in the development and gentrification of this neighborhood
      • There is a feeling that it’s more of the same: same power brokers, same people at disadvantage.
      • Methods are being used to take homes and push African Americans out

Newsletter

  • Next issue has been sent to the printer!
  • Always welcome more advertisers

ANNOUNCEMENTS

  • Next meeting: have an executive board meeting to define agenda for next meeting. Jere to call meeting. 

Adjourn 8:33 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Maggie Gardner

Guests: none

ENA Board Meeting Minutes — May 20

ENA Board Meeting minutes May 20, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm sharp. Introductions to follow.

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Jere, Sue 2nds with one change: Ricky’s announcements for lunch is at 11am, not 1pm.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

EMSWDC – no-show

Urban Design Workshop. 

  • Jonathan introduces the topic and the main presenter, Rick Potestio. Miles contributes. Goal of the initiative is for growth with intention. Neighbors should gather in workshops to define how growth looks in their own neighborhoods. Their aim is to give control to residents by empowering them to make recommendations to the city. This is a grassroots movement, not to become part of the planning department
  • They have been auditing neighborhoods around the city to take stock of the current environment, see what’s working, what’s not. They plan to hold charettes to gain insights and create enthusiasm and involvement.
  • They want to use Eliot as a neighborhood to test their processes and approach, and hope to use ENA as a springboard to reach the rest of the community
  • Our questions center on process and inclusion. Invitation and support for a broad group of attendees. Broad support around goal to have outreach so that workshop includes more than just the board. That outreach needs to be done by the Urban Design Team before we approve or agree to be a part of it — IF we approve or agree to be a part of it.
  • Motion to make Jonathan the liason from this group to the board, and any requests this group has of the board. (Maggie, Sue 2nds the motion.) Board votes to approve.

Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air

  • Jere speaks to how to address clean air in our neighborhood, especially as new research is published. The Diesel Bill has money that is supposed to go to help offset negative effects, or help businesses transition to newer, more efficient equipment.
  • Clean Air is hoping to build and arm grass-roots, neighbor volunteers to go to local businesses and ask them to do something about their fleets. 
  • Between 4-9 businesses in the neighborhood are eligible to get reimbursement dollars
  • Jere would like to start a subcommittee called Eliot E-ACT for all clean air topics, in general. First action will be this Diesel Bill focus, second action is for Metro involvement. Ongoing topics will inevitably arise.
  • Motion that Jere will reach out to neighbors to find interest for involvement and dedication to be on subcommittee, then allow them to vote within for their own leadership. (Sue, Johnny 2nds). Board votes to approve.

Linnton Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air Team

  • Group wants to obtain building to be the center of education for Clean Air
  • They want ENA to sign letter of support for the building
  • Jere will send letter around for all to read, we will vote later, after everyone has had a chance to read.

Treasurer:

  • $81 expense for food
  • $1.21 interest paid, income
  • Albina Garden’s treasurer has been in touch with Jim about how the money will be spent. They will send quarterly reports to us, so we can understand how it is being used.
    • Jimmy wants a receipt from them, on their letterhead, that they received the check from us. Record that they received a grant check from ENA at the board meeting (05.20.19) in the amount of $1,750.00 from Ena. It was cashed on 06.07.19, per Jim Hvala.

Livability

  • Trees are being planted  – 48 trees w/in Boise and Eliot!! 20 were from our livability committee.

Outreach

  • Chief Outlaw meeting. 50-60 Leaders of people of color attended. 
  • 100 sworn officers retiring, 100 non sworn-in officer’s position that are open and available… Many are curious about the real reason. Why are they retiring in such large numbers? They say it’s because they do not feel supported, wages are low
  • The meeting was a good conversation about how to move forward. One person can’t fix everything. Needs to be group effort. Good intro/liason between Jimmy and Cheif Outlaw
  • Police Strategic Plan Community Loopback meetings will cover police strategic planning process and framework, and get input through small group discussions
    • Date: Saturday, May 25th
      Time: 10:00 am – 11:30 am
      Location: East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Ave, Portland, OR 97216
    • Date: Thursday, May 30th
      Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
      Location: Terrell Hall Rm 206, PCC Cascade Campus, 5624 N Borthwick Ave, Portland, OR 97217
  • Jimmy, Jonathan, Sue and Quanita went and fed  40-60 people at the walnut park shelter. 

Newsletter

  • We have new advertisers! We’re now running at a profit!
  • Discussion about the newsletter article that sparked comments from neighbors. Article used words that were offensive to some.
    • Comments and corrections have been posted online
    • Comments will be included in the next newsletter as a letter to the editor

Equity Training

  • Agreement we want to keep the initiative going
  • Angela Kremer offered to help us find a moderator so we can talk about what we need
  • Further discussion at June meeting

LUTC

  • Sending a letter to PBOT about pedestrian death and goal for zero pedestrian deaths
  • Two new members to LUTC, Monique and Zach. Board approves

NECN

  • Code changes are underway
  • ENA can’t remain a 501c-3 under new arrangement. We will need to re-write bylaws. While we’re at it, we should 
    • review article 4 re: general membership
    • Review article 5 re: definition of officer’s roles
    • Boundary will be re-written

Communication/website:

  • Thursday has audited the website and found that we may need to adjust our plan with wordpress to better optimize the site and experience
  • She plans to do a training on how to use wordpress
  • She plans to do a content review, audit for sensitivity, clarity, thoroughness
  • She would like approval to accomplish “low hanging fruit”
    • Upgrade where she can, for accessibility of content
  • She needs new payment info (from Jim)

Adjourn 8:27 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jim Hlava,  Maggie Gardner, Jimmy Wilson, Johnny Engleheart, Patricia Montgomery

Guests: Thursday Bram, Rick Potestio and Miles, Ricky, Angela Kremer

Board Meeting Minutes 2019-03-18

ENA Board Meeting minutes March 18, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:40pm. Introductions to follow.

Presentation for Oasis of Change (Kathryn and Dov)

  • opening community based urban farm, restaurant, teaching kitchen, community center, live music… relax and enjoy. Body work (massage, acupuncture). Subscription model, a place for families, child-care on site. ($20 date night!)
  • Fully open April 20… first dinner on April 19
  • oasisforchange.com
  • Property on the west side of Williams at Tillamook (by Elk’s Lodge)

COMMITTE REPORTS

Treasurer – Jim

  • Not a ton of activity to report, just a few deposits from newsletter ads. More updates next moth

Community Relations – Jimmy

  • PSAC meeting – attended by: Boise Chair (David), Overlook, Humboldt, Eliot, Piedmont…
    • initiated effort for all to come together, to work together
    • wants to collaborate with at least 10 neighborhood associations (Eliot, Boise, Lloyd, Irvington, Sabin, Woodlawn, Humboldt, King, Overlook, Vernon
    • Coined the acronym TURN: Togetherness, Uniting, Reaching, Neighborhood
    • Next meeting (info offered by Linda):
      • April 11 4415 NE 87th Ave (6-8pm)
      • July 11 @ 449 NE Emerson
      • Oct 10 and 4415 NE 87th Ave
  • Chief Outlaw presentation at Emmanuel Church, April 2
    • goal to actually get input from community, true involvement. Efforts are gaining traction.

Newsletter – Sue

  • Spring newsletter went to print this morning!
  • Need submissions for next issue by June 1
  • Gained Meyer Memorial Trust as new advertiser for full year
  • Green Drop Garage also wants to get involved
  • new advertisers always welcome

LUTC – Brad/Jonathan

  • no real updates this time… attempt to get Boise (David) here next time
  • Jimmy wants to keep this a priority, light the fire under the feet of this topic
  • Jonathan to email maps to board with our decision of the solution we propose
  • goal to have this meeting in the next week or two

SEAT – Brad

  • Neighborhood watch training scheduled for the end of April, for neighbors in the immediate area
  • Thursday has an idea for other training to add to that

Livability – Jere

  • Litter pickup on April 20 (Earth Day) meet at BreadWinner Cafe. Event is posted on SOLV’s website
  • Jodi Guth is the new Block Adopt lead
  • 3 separate tree plantings are also underway

NECN – Jere

  • NECN budget has been slashed
  • they asked us to NOT take money for communication that was once promised ($500), as their belts are tight. We usually use this for newsletter, but confident we can do without
  • Larger conversation about how Community and Civic Life office wants to get rid of neighborhood associations
    • We question why these groups are mutually exclusive? Why not both affinity groups and geographic groups be present under Community and Civic Life?
    • ONI and PSAC say its our job to communicate with our neighbors – this is our biggest value.
    • We need to re-assess our methods of community. Maybe we need another Community Conversation Feedback night to find out how best to serve. Consider for April meeting.

Website – Thursday

  • Overall transition to take over administration of site has gone smoothly. What next?
  • add advertising?
  • what additional content can we provide?
  • Suggest a survey to help understand our audience – to be done for April meeting
  • Intention to do a full website audit, and potential revamp of content in general. Larger conversation for another time.

ENA Grant Committee – Jere

  • no updates

Mural on MLK –

  • Overall project process has been established. Will need much more info to proceed.
  • a subcommittee will guide process of choosing artists. Would like to invite 3 artists to submit a prospectus. We offer to pay each artist $300 for their submission.

7th Avenue Greenway – Sue

  • Nick Falbo led a meeting, discussed that City is leaning toward doing greenway on 9th, but no road improvements there. Cyclists ride through Irving park, no re-direct.
  • City will do improvements on 7th; adding speedbumps, crosswalks, stop signs, etc.
  • Decision made because major destinations better served by 9th greenway

Walnut Park

  • Jere unable to do April meal. Anyone else want to lead it?
  • Sue potentially lead for April 19th, will follow up with Jere separately
  • Jimmy proposed board fund April meal up to $150. Sue seconds. Board votes in favor.
  • proposal to have group cooking session for meal in May or June

NEW BUSINESS

Co-Chair Nomination

 

  • Jere propose to nominate Jimmy as Co-Chair of board with her. Jimmy desires a stronger foundation for his outreach efforts. Jere will maintain central communications. Maggie to 2nd the nomination. Vote to approve passes.
  • Shireen shows interest in Outreach position. Sue proposes to nominate Shireen for Community Outreach position, starting this month, with the understanding that more specific duties of the role are to be outlined in April. Brad to second. Board votes in favor.

 

Additoinal

  • I-5 freeway expansion – visit website to make your voice heard!
  • January minutes edited
  • February minutes approved

meeting adjourned at 8:55p

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman, Jimmy Wilson, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jonathan Konkol, Maggie Gardner, Jim Hlava, Shireen Hasan, Darren Holcomb.

Guests: Thursday Graham, Catherine and Dove (Oasis of Change), Linda Kuhen, Adam Baker

 

Board Meeting Minutes 2019-02-18

ENA Board Meeting minutes Feb 18, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St

Darren initiate to approve January minutes, Jim 2nd, with one change:

  • remove reference to police report

 

Committee Reports:

Treasury, Jim. budget update. presented profit/loss report for January

    • beginning balance in January was $14,316.53
    • ending balance was $$15,195.56
    • livability budget is $14,108.24

Community Relations, Jimmy

    • Public Safety Action Committee (PSAC) – initiative to reinstate monthly meetings to discuss police presence
      • North Precinct officers and all neighborhoods represented are invited to gather to talk about what police involvement should look like.
      • Goal is to have everyone gather to talk and have ideas represented. give community a voice
      • Meeting will be at Emmanuel Church on Feb 28th – 6-8pm.
    • Chief Outlaw held forums to get community input. Many (including Jimmy) weren’t satisfied with their attempts, so he organized a meeting to gather a wider community representation
      • April 2nd, she will come to Emmanuel Church 6-8pm

Newsletter, Sue

      • She needs articles submitted for April newsletter by March 1
      • any new advertising is welcome. She will share rate card with board.
      • Sue’s suggestion to drive competition from new dispensaries in the neighborhood, no objections
      • adam becker suggests we collaborate with kaia@streetroots.org

LUTC, Jonathan

      • LUTC has temporarily paused Boise border conversation. Dave DelaRoche from Boise wants to come present whenever we’re ready
      • Jere proposes to put solid line along alley between Fremont and Kerby between houses and businesses that face N. Vancouver, then along N. Vancouver all the way to the river.
      • Jere proposes to meet with Boise board to discuss. Johnny 2nds. Jonathan will communicate with Boise neighborhood.

Livability, Jere

      • Friends of Trees will start their big planting in feb and march w/ Friends of Trees
        • we voted last year to subsidize tree plantings in the neighborhood, so we will get a report about how much we owe FOT.
        • toyota is paying for own trees ($2K)
        • would be great if some of our board members represent at plantings.
      • Progress is also being made on traffic diverter and parking

NECN, Jere

      • recap of a larger conversation about how our city commissioners represent the constituents, possibly re-defining this. Possibly hiring a city manager
      • setting up conversations with Community and Civic Life Office (old ONI) to keep NECN voice in the decision-making process about this new org. They might want to get rid of all neighborhood associations.
      • ENA grant committee.
        • Jere propose that smaller subcommittee review all materials to help determine our new grant process. Committee to meet within the month, give update at next meeting. MG to second. (Sue, Maggie, Jere, Jimmy)

ADDITIONAL:

Walnut Park shelter dinner. plans for Feb 22, a number of people volunteer to do it in March

Community Garden

  • Update of current project:
    • Jim states that Heru has not responded to letter
    • The planting team is ready to go! 6-8 beds planned at St. Phillip
    • Native plants grant has been submitted
    • St Phillip’s pastor hoping to give $500 grant as well, and a sanctuary out front with benches and native plants
    • Laura at NECN helping her get a fiscal sponsor
    • Pat makes the motion that give $877.77, and any future money that gets returned from Heru, to be given back to Garden. Maggie to second.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Annual Cleanup

  • not sure it’s worth it.
  • Jere proposes that we skip this year, revisit next year. 2nd by Sue

New webmaster

  • Thursday Graham wants to take it over, she has lots of wordpress experience
  • Sue makes motion that Thursday Graham be webmaster. Maggie to second, board votes to approve.
  • Jim suggests we give thank-you to Clint

Mural

  • RACC, BES and landowner offered us some $$ to do Mural, if it has messaging around
  • we will miss the Feb 20th entry deadline, but there are many more throughout the year
  • Jere proposes we have a committee to help this move forward. Maggie to 2nd. Board votes to approve. Will also include Monica, Maggie, PICA

 

Announcements

  • Neighborhood emergency team. Free training on May 7th if anyone wants to be involved.
  • “Reluctant Radical”, march 13, 7-9pm at Episcopal church. Ken Ward, activists re: fossil fuels and climate change and impact on African American communities, low-income. Ken and the director will be in attendance
  • Adam wants to know about car windows being broken. how are we addressing?
    • South Eliot Action Team has this as a goal
    • PSAC also part of the solution

**from Darren Holcomb: this will be his last meeting, moving out of the neighborhood – later noted he’d like to be involved if he’s allowed, once he’s moved out of Eliot

meeting adjourned at 8:45p

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman, Jimmy Wilson, Darren Holcomb , Maggie Gardner, Jonathan Konkol, Susan Stringer, JIm Hlava, Patricia Montgomery, Johnny Engleheart Noel, Shireen Hasan, Julio Mendoza

Guest Attendance: 2 visitors from Japan (landscape, economics and neighborhood involvement), Thursday Graham, Linda Kuhn, Adam Becker, Roya (PICA), Kristin