ENA Board Meeting Minutes — May 20

ENA Board Meeting minutes May 20, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm sharp. Introductions to follow.

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Jere, Sue 2nds with one change: Ricky’s announcements for lunch is at 11am, not 1pm.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

EMSWDC – no-show

Urban Design Workshop. 

  • Jonathan introduces the topic and the main presenter, Rick Potestio. Miles contributes. Goal of the initiative is for growth with intention. Neighbors should gather in workshops to define how growth looks in their own neighborhoods. Their aim is to give control to residents by empowering them to make recommendations to the city. This is a grassroots movement, not to become part of the planning department
  • They have been auditing neighborhoods around the city to take stock of the current environment, see what’s working, what’s not. They plan to hold charettes to gain insights and create enthusiasm and involvement.
  • They want to use Eliot as a neighborhood to test their processes and approach, and hope to use ENA as a springboard to reach the rest of the community
  • Our questions center on process and inclusion. Invitation and support for a broad group of attendees. Broad support around goal to have outreach so that workshop includes more than just the board. That outreach needs to be done by the Urban Design Team before we approve or agree to be a part of it — IF we approve or agree to be a part of it.
  • Motion to make Jonathan the liason from this group to the board, and any requests this group has of the board. (Maggie, Sue 2nds the motion.) Board votes to approve.

Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air

  • Jere speaks to how to address clean air in our neighborhood, especially as new research is published. The Diesel Bill has money that is supposed to go to help offset negative effects, or help businesses transition to newer, more efficient equipment.
  • Clean Air is hoping to build and arm grass-roots, neighbor volunteers to go to local businesses and ask them to do something about their fleets. 
  • Between 4-9 businesses in the neighborhood are eligible to get reimbursement dollars
  • Jere would like to start a subcommittee called Eliot E-ACT for all clean air topics, in general. First action will be this Diesel Bill focus, second action is for Metro involvement. Ongoing topics will inevitably arise.
  • Motion that Jere will reach out to neighbors to find interest for involvement and dedication to be on subcommittee, then allow them to vote within for their own leadership. (Sue, Johnny 2nds). Board votes to approve.

Linnton Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air Team

  • Group wants to obtain building to be the center of education for Clean Air
  • They want ENA to sign letter of support for the building
  • Jere will send letter around for all to read, we will vote later, after everyone has had a chance to read.

Treasurer:

  • $81 expense for food
  • $1.21 interest paid, income
  • Albina Garden’s treasurer has been in touch with Jim about how the money will be spent. They will send quarterly reports to us, so we can understand how it is being used.
    • Jimmy wants a receipt from them, on their letterhead, that they received the check from us. Record that they received a grant check from ENA at the board meeting (05.20.19) in the amount of $1,750.00 from Ena. It was cashed on 06.07.19, per Jim Hvala.

Livability

  • Trees are being planted  – 48 trees w/in Boise and Eliot!! 20 were from our livability committee.

Outreach

  • Chief Outlaw meeting. 50-60 Leaders of people of color attended. 
  • 100 sworn officers retiring, 100 non sworn-in officer’s position that are open and available… Many are curious about the real reason. Why are they retiring in such large numbers? They say it’s because they do not feel supported, wages are low
  • The meeting was a good conversation about how to move forward. One person can’t fix everything. Needs to be group effort. Good intro/liason between Jimmy and Cheif Outlaw
  • Police Strategic Plan Community Loopback meetings will cover police strategic planning process and framework, and get input through small group discussions
    • Date: Saturday, May 25th
      Time: 10:00 am – 11:30 am
      Location: East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Ave, Portland, OR 97216
    • Date: Thursday, May 30th
      Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
      Location: Terrell Hall Rm 206, PCC Cascade Campus, 5624 N Borthwick Ave, Portland, OR 97217
  • Jimmy, Jonathan, Sue and Quanita went and fed  40-60 people at the walnut park shelter. 

Newsletter

  • We have new advertisers! We’re now running at a profit!
  • Discussion about the newsletter article that sparked comments from neighbors. Article used words that were offensive to some.
    • Comments and corrections have been posted online
    • Comments will be included in the next newsletter as a letter to the editor

Equity Training

  • Agreement we want to keep the initiative going
  • Angela Kremer offered to help us find a moderator so we can talk about what we need
  • Further discussion at June meeting

LUTC

  • Sending a letter to PBOT about pedestrian death and goal for zero pedestrian deaths
  • Two new members to LUTC, Monique and Zach. Board approves

NECN

  • Code changes are underway
  • ENA can’t remain a 501c-3 under new arrangement. We will need to re-write bylaws. While we’re at it, we should 
    • review article 4 re: general membership
    • Review article 5 re: definition of officer’s roles
    • Boundary will be re-written

Communication/website:

  • Thursday has audited the website and found that we may need to adjust our plan with wordpress to better optimize the site and experience
  • She plans to do a training on how to use wordpress
  • She plans to do a content review, audit for sensitivity, clarity, thoroughness
  • She would like approval to accomplish “low hanging fruit”
    • Upgrade where she can, for accessibility of content
  • She needs new payment info (from Jim)

Adjourn 8:27 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jim Hlava,  Maggie Gardner, Jimmy Wilson, Johnny Engleheart, Patricia Montgomery

Guests: Thursday Bram, Rick Potestio and Miles, Ricky, Angela Kremer