ENA Board Meeting minutes April 15, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St.
Meeting called to order at 6:40pm. Introductions to follow.
Motion to accept the minutes for March (Jim, Sue 2nds) Board votes to approve.
- Treasurer report:
- Two payments to Newspaper and to Community Garden. Expenses reviewed. Motion to approve (Pat, Maggie 2nds) Board votes to approve.
- Albina cooperative garden – Kat following up on budget request from last year. Jim agrees to pay her the lump sum of $1750, Kat will follow up with us: bookkeeper’s name is Doug, will show us how money was spent. She will follow up with Sue so that we can write an article about the garden.
- Community Relations – Jimmy and Shireen
- At a Lew Frederick event, Jimmy asked him to address Clean Air issues that affect our neighborhood.
- Updates from PSAC (Public Safety Action Committee) meeting
- About 45 people, 8-10 neighborhood associations
- Police force seeing large budget cuts
- Police force losing staff to retirement, low salary, and low morale (don’t feel they have support from community). Hard to recruit new officers. Approx 200 positions open.
- We are losing backup enforcement support from Washington County
- Discussed homelessness, crime, bicyclist licensing
- Discussed Neighborhood watch training
- Forum with Chief Outlaw
- Continuing to try to schedule, will keep us posted
- Newsletter – Sue
- New issue out!
- Next issue prints in July, need content by June 1
- LUTC – Jonathan
- We shared proposed boundary to Boise. David came to discuss. His board ratified the map – agrees with our suggestion with one amendment: splits Vancouver/Ivy/Fremont block so that easternmost 100 feet is Eliot, the rest is Boise. LUTC will work with Boise to submit official paperwork to the city.
- SEAT –
- Parking initiative did not pass. Still working on neighborhood watch
- Community Gardens – beds have gone in! 2 planted, 2 more being built. Plans to make them wheelchair accessible. Sue mentions: Harper’s Playground helps make playgrounds wheelchair accessible – might be a good resource. Partnered with the Church, involve families and kids, add artwork installations. Plans to add native plants. Church hopes to improve lighting.
- Jimmy and Sue ran into the Lew Frederick’s legislative aid, confirms that Sen. Frederick will come to one of our meetings. Johnny is interested in supporting this.
- Website – Thursday
- wants to update billing. Will work with Jim to get it on a board-owned credit card
- Wants to survey residents. Will send out shared doc for board members to help brainstorm questions AND brainstorm ways to get the surveys to people (eg: Pat’s recommendation to have drop-box near Chuck’s market)
- Adam volunteers to help Shireen with garden
- David DeLaRoche announces Eliot-Boise Navite Grove work party.
- April 20, 10a-1p. Install bench around Oak Tree
- Ricky invites us to join him at this church (St. Philip) on Saturdays at 11am for lunch/pantry services
- Litter Pickup on April 20, 10a-12p at Breadwinner Cycles
- Portland Clean Air Spoke Training on April 23rd, 6-8pm 2420 NE Sandy Blvd
- Open Signal gardening event on Sat April 27, 10-5p. BYO tools
meeting adjourned at 8:25p
Board Attendance: Jimmy Wilson, Sue Stringer, Jonathan Konkol, Maggie Gardner, Jim Hlava, Shireen Hasan, Darren Holcomb. Johnny Engleheart, Patricia Montgomery
Guests: Thursday Graham, Kwanita Wilson, Adam, Ricky, Michael Espinoza, Kat (Albina coop garden), David DeLaRoche (Boise NA)