June 2022 ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes

ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes: June 2022

LUTC in attendance:

  • Allan, Andrew

Public:

  • Luke Stein

Presenters:

  • Winta Yohannes, Chandra, Carly Harrison, Ashley Koger, Stanley Ong,Kathryn Doherty-Chapman, Kristan Alldrin, Jackie Zusi-Russell

Albina One

  • similar to before
  • they don’t have a copy of our letter of support
  • going to Design Request this week, Approval by august perhaps

PBOT – North Portland Parking

Jackie-Earth Advantage

  • can help reach out with developers about decontrsuction & getting certified. They have a metro grant.
  • looking at incentive program
  • some adopted practices into the standard practice
  • RIP might increase deconstructions
  • only set up for full deconstruction 
  • goal: help connect people doing demolitions with this program

April 11, 2022 ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes

ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes: April 11, 2022

  • Present at tonight’s meeting (non-presenters)
    • Brad Baker
    • Andrew Champion
    • Mike Warwick
    • Jason Cohen
  • Bureau of Environmental Services Presentation on Irving Park Stormwater Project
    • Presented by BES Public Involvement Representative Matt Gough
    • BES background
    • Nature patches throughout park already there
    • Problem with stormwater runoff going into streets on the NW corner of park, sogging ball fields
    • BES installing rain gardens in addition to the nature patches
    • Rain gardens look similar to the ones we see on the side of streets to collet stormwater—green street planters
      • Will be installed throughout the park
    • Additional green street planters will be installed on 7th Ave north of San Rafael to address flooding which happens there; part of the project
  • Does LUTC want to write a letter of support re: Residential Infill Project 2?
    • Cottage clusters, six unit townhouses, four units in lower density area lots.
    • Hasn’t been looked at in detail yet by committee
    • RIP is being changed to align with new state laws
    • Seems to generally align with LUTC values—increasing affordable housing
    • Concerns:
      • Will this drive up value of land?
      • Increased property taxes?
        • New construction has higher property taxes; will that impact affordability when passed on to residents?
      • Perhaps not affordable, but more affordable than it would be otherwise
        • Can people living on the streets afford these new units?
    • Will write a letter in support—aligns with our overall values

January 9, 2023 LUTC Meeting Agenda

(December meeting cancelled)

Meeting will be online via google meet (full information at the bottom if this link doesn’t work)

(Old meeting minutes here)

Draft Agenda

Future Topics:

  • Emanuel Hospital Annual contact
  • January: PBOT to discuss NE 7th Ave traffic

Eliot LUTC recurring meeting
Monday, January 9, 2023 · 7:00 – 8:30pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/sie-kbrb-fpc
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 413-438-2335‬ PIN: ‪285 484 290‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/sie-kbrb-fpc?pin=5302750939203

November 14, 2022 ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes

ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes: November 14, 2022

Fremont Bridgehead Project Presentation – Allan Rudwick

Link to Recording: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfHMcFXqs7H-qtIZm2BmbDqJJxGnrf3OZ8PYRKGzf5WKas6rQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

  • History & context of neighborhood
    • Displacement of homes for bridgehead and highway
    • Decreased census numbers
    • Removal of families
    • Proposed Prescott Freeway – never built
      • On ramps and off-ramps to this proposed freeway
    • Before and after images – dense single family homes; now parking lots and long ramp
  • Proposing removal of three quarters of ramp, essentially everything northeast of Mississippi Ave.
  • Question of ambulance access – new proposal would make for more direct access to ED for ambulances coming off the Fremont Bridge.
  • 8 acres would be reclaimed
  • Surrounded by City maintenance and shop yards
  • 6 acres on one side; 9 on other
  • Land valuation – high based on comparable land—$1 billion in land value and significant tax revenue
  • Keeping traffic down in adjacent neighborhoods is important
  • Pedestrian, bike and Tri-Met corridors could be constructed and cut off significant amounts of time and distance
  • Benefits:
    • ODOT: Less maintenance burden, opportunity to remedy bad design, positive public relations
    • City: Profit from land sale, tax revenue
      • Community: Compensation to displaced families, fill gap in urban fabric, rebuilt Tubman Middle School site
    • Legacy: Improved ED access
  • Next steps: City, community and state will all need to work together
    • Grant(s)
    • Stakeholder committee
    • Divide land, sell at auction
  • Q&A:
    • Carbon offset. Portland Clean Energy Fund.
    • New PPS school at Red Cross site?
      • Present to PPS
    • Reconnecting Communities grants for exactly these types of projects – part of federal infrastructure bill recently passed
    • Interest in keeping some public land for public use, for example a public pool or something similar to ease pressure on already existing public amenities in neighborhood
    • Include County leaders
  • Call to action – need to connect with organizations, etc. More voices.  Time to move past planning stages

Permits

  • Streimer rezoning
    • IG to EX. Layman’s terms: More industrial to slightly less industrial and flexible.
      • We will send letter that is supporting; mention that movement to EX across neighborhood is favored by ENA LUTC
        • Mike to write
      • Albina Library
        • Letter re support; push for activation on street front and less surface parking. Wonder Ballroom parking after hours, or other public parking use after hours
          • Jason to write
        • Vancouver & Russell apartment building
          • Unflattering design, no street front activation
          • Rezone push, generally supportive
          • Potential of LUTC signing on to higher height in exchange for better use of street front
          • Mike will write letter

Eliot Parking Committee

  • Allan is on committee

Freeway Lawsuit

  • Utilizing our network to fundraise

Updating ENA Design Guidelines

  • Current version does not address commercial or multi-family

Action Item:

  • Find old minutes and post online

Attendees:

  • Allan Rudwick
  • Mike Warwick
  • Andrew Champion
  • Jason Cohen
  • Michelle DePass
  • Doug Klotz
  • John Russell
  • Seth Anderson
  • John Pugsley
  • Paul Buchanan
  • Joseph Cortright
  • Alan Kessler
  • Jeremiah Via
  • Eric Wilhelm
  • Sherifa
  • Victoria
  • BNF

November 14, 2022 LUTC Meeting Agenda

Meeting will be online via zoom (full information at the bottom if this link doesn’t work)

(Old meeting minutes here)

Draft Agenda

  • 7pm: Welcome and Introductions
  • Discuss any additions to the agenda
  • Fremont Bridgehead Presentation to guests (Allan)
    • many invited, this section will be recorded.
  • Other Permits:
    • Streimer Redesign
    • Library comment period open
    • Response to Russell + Williams rezone proposal
  • LUTC Committee Elections
    • Members (nominate + approve slate)
    • Officer Elections – Chair, Vice Chair, Recorder (nominate & vote individually)
  • Parking committee update (Allan)
  • Eliot Development Guidelines – what about bigger developments?
  • I5- Rose Quarter Update
  • Public Comment
  • Adjourn

Future Topics:

  • Emanuel Hospital Annual contact
  • January: PBOT to discuss NE 7th Ave traffic

Allan Rudwick is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: My Meeting
Time: Nov 14, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85161879346?pwd=Q0VFaUU0MWE4YVdqYThLcXNyT0ovQT09

Meeting ID: 851 6187 9346
Passcode: 794932
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,85161879346#,,,,794932# US (Houston) +16694449171,,85161879346#,,,,794932# US

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 444 9171 US
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 719 359 4580 US
+1 253 205 0468 US
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 507 473 4847 US
+1 564 217 2000 US
+1 646 931 3860 US
+1 689 278 1000 US
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 305 224 1968 US
+1 309 205 3325 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 360 209 5623 US
+1 386 347 5053 US
Meeting ID: 851 6187 9346
Passcode: 794932
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kc25L3oHtM

October 10, 2022 ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes

Attendees:

  • Eric & Shireen Hasan
  • Allan Rudwick
  • Alison Harmon
  • Mike Warwick
  • Kathryn Doherty-Chapman (PBOT)
  • Serena Li
  • Jason Cohen
  • Travis Sowerby
  • Suzanne McIllnay
  • Kyle Monroe
  • Danelle Isenhart
  • Mark Lisac
  • Taylor Gentry
  • Stan Hubert
  • Helen Spieth
  • Kyle Monroe
  • Clint Lundmark

  • PBOT spokesperson – Kathryn Doherty-Chapman (Kathryn.doherty-chapman@portlandoregon.gov)
    • The plan is to do a study and have a discussion. PBOT doesn’t know when, what, where or how much yet.  When PBOT does have a proposal, it will share widely and have an open house/survey.
    • Meter discussion. Permit parking.  Can stay beyond limit if you have a permit.
    • Wednesday night meetings on zoom going forwards. Regular meeting schedule.

  • Presentation on proposed apt. building on NE Graham – Danielle Isenhart, Travis Sowerby, & Mark Lisac
    • 29 units
    • Bike parking, no car parking
    • Three stories
    • Open questions
      • Q: Discussion of process – confusing that sign out front says nothing has been submitted to city; unclear where we are in terms of land use application
        • A: Not yet submitted for land use review
      • Q: Same address as existing building?
        • A: Will be partitioned
      • Q: Easement line for parking lot?
        • A: Will remain
      • Q: Difficult to understand where enterance and pedestrian ways are
        • A: Showing floorplan – screenshare
      • Q: Looks hard to get bikes inside – three doors to get to final rack location.
        • A: Yes, but not against code. Best we can do.
      • Q: Cost & time?
        • A: No cost projection yet; 12+ months
      • Q: Concern about too many units in the neighborhood; street parking being taken up; taking down beautiful trees
        • A: No response
      • Q: Who is the developer?
        • A: A family with an LLC but the architects are not willing to disclose their names. Lake Oswego P.O. Box.
      • Q: Low income options?
        • At least two under city rules
      • Q: Handicap accessible?
        • 8 type B units on ground floor and 1 type A unit on ground floor
      • Q: Is there market demand for this?
        • A: Yes

  • Demolition permit at 202 NE Graham
    • Looks like they are trying to demolish a garage and build an ADU on top
    • Garage has already been demolished

  • AirBNB contacts – City passes out a phone number to neighbors.

  • 7th & Tillamook Intersection
    • City is not doing anything in response to the neighborhood sentiment
    • Generic response letter to specific ENA LUTC letters
    • Should another letter be sent?
    • A neighbor who is an attorney has filed a lawsuit.
    • Leveraging Congressman Blumenauer?

  • Discussion about equity and inclusion in the development process in the neighborhood.

October 10, 2022 LUTC Meeting Agenda

Meeting will be online via google meet

initial elevations for 325 W/ NE Graham

Draft Agenda

  • 7pm: Welcome and Introductions
  • Discuss any additions to the agenda
  • Parking committee update (Kathryn Doherty-Chapman, PBOT)
  • Discuss Development at 325 W/ NE Graham
    • lot just west of the Blue building on the west side of MLK and Graham. 29 units of apartments proposed
  • Other Permits:
    • Demolition permit 202 NE Graham
    • Short term rental 75 NE Graham
  • Update on NE 7th
  • Upcoming: LUTC Committee & Officer Elections in November
  • Upcoming Emanuel Meeting in November

Google Meet voice option

Dial: ‪(US) +1 413-438-2335‬ PIN: ‪285 484 290‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/sie-kbrb-fpc?pin=5302750939203

2022-09-12 LUTC Meeting Agenda

Meeting will be online via google meet

Draft Agenda

  • 7pm: Welcome and Introductions
  • Discuss any additions to the agenda
  • Discuss Development at SE corner of N Vancouver Avenue and N Russell Street
    • location of Sloan’s
  • Letter Re: 7th and Tillamook – do we want to echo it with our own letter? (possible Motion)
  • LUTC officers and recruitment

Google Meet voice option

Dial: ‪(US) +1 413-438-2335‬ PIN: ‪285 484 290‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/sie-kbrb-fpc?pin=5302750939203

June 13th 2022 LUTC Agenda

Eliot Neighborhood Association’s Land Use and Transportation Committee Agenda

June 13th 2022, 7:00-9:00 pm

Zoom Link – Full Details below

Agenda

  1. 7:00 Open meeting, Welcome guests, Introductions (5 mins)
  2. 7:05 Discuss agenda and accept any additions (5)
  3. 7:10 Albina One update (40)
  4. 7:50 North Portland Parking Plan/Permits update w/ PBOT (30)
  5. 8:20 Safe N’hood Redevelopment with Earth Advantage
  6. Notices:
    1. driveway proposal at 33 NE Cook
    2. Short term rental type B (multiple rooms) at 85 NE Cook (at Rodney)

Allan Rudwick is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: June LUTC
Time: Jun 13, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83512347847?pwd=Qi90UXVaa0xhWGlEQjhxM2VTZmc1QT09

Meeting ID: 835 1234 7847
Passcode: 919224
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,83512347847#,,,,919224# US (San Jose) +12532158782,,83512347847#,,,,919224# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 835 1234 7847
Passcode: 919224
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbApXRtPjT

April 11th 2022 LUTC Meeting Agenda

Eliot Neighborhood Association’s Land Use and Transportation Committee Agenda

April 11th 2022, 7:00-8:00 pm

Zoom Link – Full Details Below

Agenda

  1. 7:00 Open meeting, Welcome guests, Introductions (5 mins)
  2. 7:05 Discuss agenda and accept any additions (5)
  3. 7:10 Irving Park Stormwater Update (30)
  4. 7:40 Other updates (10)

Allan Rudwick is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: April 2022 Eliot LUTC
Time: Apr 11, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81125552707?pwd=U3RkSnZ1NnJRbWVDNlFNSFo3QmY1dz09

Meeting ID: 811 2555 2707
Passcode: 226542
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,81125552707#,,,,226542# US (San Jose) +12532158782,,81125552707#,,,,226542# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 811 2555 2707
Passcode: 226542
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/keoBR4vwHv

March 14, 2022 ENA LUTC Meeting Minutes

  • Introductions
  • Present at meeting (non-presenters):
    • Brad Baker
    • Allan Rudwick
    • Jason Cohen
    • Andrew Champion
    • Monique Gaskins
  • PBOT Lloyd Event Parking District Presentation – Kathryn Doherty-Chapman
    • During games/concerts/big conventions – how can we encourage people not to park on the streets?
    • Lloyd focused but touches Eliot.
    • Once PBOT goes before City Council on this, they will seek to start the rate increase during events at $3/hr.
      • This rate will theoretically increase yearly as part of PBOT’s budget assuming capacity is being met.
    • PBOT is continuing to focus on the parking study in Northeast/Boise/Eliot over the coming years.
    • Equity: Transportation Wallet for Lloyd District residents.
    • Summary:
      • Rate increase during games and events in the evening/some day time event
      • Annual rate changes based on data
    • LUTC agreeing to write a letter of support of the Lloyd Event Parking District Plan as long as it dovetails into productive results in the future with the North Portland Parking Management Plan.  Eliot doesn’t want to get stuck with vehicles moving north to avoid the meters and no other benefit to the Eliot Neighborhood.
  • Presentation on Albina One – Winta Yohannes (Albina Vision Trust), Chandra Robinson (Lever Architecture), Carly Harrison (Consultant with Edlen & Co.), Gauri Vengurlekar (Consultant with Edlen & Co.), Samantha Lautman (Lever Architecture)
    • AVT Design Team introduction.  Collaborative group with different discipline backgrounds.
    • Community Hosts and Collaborators – Leading to community engagement.
    • AVT has been listening to community feedback for quite some time.
      • Experiences inform spaces
    • Creation of spectrum of density.
    • How does Albina One fit in to the Albina Vision.
      • Black history in the blacks around Abina One.
      • Access to waterfront important.
      • Little housing in Lower Albina currently—only Paramount Apartments.
        • Albina One meshing with Paramount Apartments.
    • Albina One features
      • Amenities on first floor, social resources, computers, playrooms, etc.
      • Grassy outdoor features for play, etc.
      • Views sweeping across westside.
      • Design from inside out.
    • Discussion about color on exterior
    • General sentiment of excitement regarding the project from the LUTC.
    • Opening community facing public spaces along the streetside frontage.
    • AVT answering questions.
    • AVT should be included in the PBOT Lloyd Event District Parking Plan.

March 14th LUTC Meeting Agenda

Eliot Neighborhood Association’s Land Use and Transportation Committee Agenda

March 14th 2021, 7:00-8:20 pm

Zoom Link – Full details below

Agenda

  1. 7:00 Open meeting, Welcome guests, Introductions (5 mins)
  2. 7:05 Discuss agenda and accept any additions (5)
  3. 7:10 Discuss Event District Parking Study/Plan with PBOT (30)
  4. 7:40 Albina One Update with Albina Vision Trust (30)
  5. 8:10 Other updates (10)

Allan Rudwick is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Eliot NA LUTC
Time: Mar 14, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88020863063?pwd=SXFJU0YwMTBXZzAzd0kxQW5YOE1tdz09

Meeting ID: 880 2086 3063
Passcode: 292019
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,88020863063#,,,,292019# US (Houston) +16699006833,,88020863063#,,,,292019# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Meeting ID: 880 2086 3063
Passcode: 292019
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kdaerugHSa

February 15, 2022 LUTC Minutes

  • Present at today’s meeting:
    • Allan Rudwick
    • Brad Baker
    • Andrew Champion
    • Amelia Harris
    • Don Eiler
    • Jason Cohen
    • Paula
  • Introductions
  • Explanation of what LUTC does for new guests interested in the LUTC
  • PBOT guest speaker is not coming tonight due to illness
  • Discussion re: short term rental application at Rodney & Ivy (3412 NE Rodney)
    • LUTC historically has not taken a public position on STRs
    • Concern from guest about new STR application at that address representing that the owner lives on the premises but is not actually on site.
    • Based on the application, it sounds like it will be a “boarding house” style rental
    • Discussion about letting BDS know if there was a misrepresentation in the application
    • Paula going to reach out to zoning planner regarding a potential meeting/sit-down
  • Tax Appraisal Update
    • Houses in Eliot showing low tax rates due to low assessed values
    • Underutilized land in Eliot across the board—how to explore this.
  • Graham Lot Split Discussion
    • Will be done on a 100’ by 150’ lot
    • Will write the city a letter in support – Brad