A contractor for the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) will start work soon on a project to replace the original I‐405 Fremont Bridge’s upper deck asphalt pavement. Due to the complexity of the work and the unique, long‐lasting pavement material that will be used, the project will:
- Require 3 weekends of full closure and at least 1 weekend of partial closure of the upper deck
- Require partial closures (two lanes) on the upper deck during weeknights. Lanes will be open until 11 p.m. when there are events at the Rose Garden Arena.
- Keep the northbound direction open (lower deck)
- Use I‐5 south as a detour during the weekend closures
- Close the ramp from the Fremont Bridge southbound to US 30 westbound during full weekend and some partial weekend closures
- Be combined with a paving and bridge repair project on I‐5 in the Rose Quarter area to avoid closures of both sections of freeways: Fremont closures in 2011; I‐5 Rose Quarter closures in 2012.
- Keep the Bridge open over these weekends: Bridge Pedal (Aug. 14), Hood to Coast (Aug. 26), Labor Day, Race for the Cure (Sept. 18), and Portland Marathon (Oct. 9).
Upper Deck Weekend Closure Schedule
This preliminary schedule could change due to weather and construction‐related factors.
Partial closure* ‐ Friday, July 15 at 11 p.m. to Monday, July 18 at 5 a.m. – Left two lanes of upper deck closed (southbound); ramps from Kerby Avenue and I‐5 north to Fremont Bridge are closed.
Full closure* ‐ Friday, July 22 at 11 p.m. to Monday, July 25 at 5 a.m. – Upper deck closed (southbound); all ramps to the upper deck are also closed.
Full closure* ‐ Friday, July 29, 11 p.m., to Monday, August 1, 5 a.m. – Upper deck closed (southbound); all ramps to the upper deck are also closed.
Full closure* ‐ Friday, August 5, 11 p.m., to Monday, August 8, 5 a.m. – Upper deck closed (southbound); all ramps to the upper deck are also closed.
* This work may be rescheduled due to bad weather or construction‐related issues. Visit TripCheck.com or call 5‐1‐1 for the latest closure information.
For More Information
To learn about the project or to join the mailing list for regular updates, contact: Mike Mason, ODOT Community Affairs Coordinator, at 503‐731‐8246 or email@example.com
Visit the website at oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGION1/I405_Fremont