Board Meeting Minutes 2018-03-19

minutesEliot Neighborhood Association
Meeting Minutes
March 19, 2018
6:40 – 8:40 pm
St Philip Deacon Episcopal Church NE 120 Knott St

Meeting called to order 6:40pm

*Motion to accept February meeting minutes with changes – Shireen Hasan; Anna Daggett seconds; approved

Onboarding Training: Do we want to add new member onboarding training as part of becoming an ENA Board member? (In regards to Feb. presentation by Angela Kremer)

Discussion: 

  • Jessica Rojas says that NECN’s role is to help support ENA, provide resources, and can train new members; if ENA Board decides to proceed and hire someone, she suggests that we look at three quotes from different resources to determine the best fit
  • Jimmy Wilson sees Angela as a good resource to help direct the Board because of her previous Board experience
  • Sue Stringer is unsure about hiring a person to fill this role because that would make the ENA Board employers
  • Jim Hlava asks if we could contract for resources and training or have a committee within the Board to work on onboarding
  • Wes Ayers says that when he was on another board, in lieu of onboarding training, they had a yearly retreat to discuss bylaws and how the board is run; having a committee and more meetings may be circular

*Motion to create Onboarding Leadership Committee that will look into what onboarding involves, organize, and determine if hiring Onboarding Leadership Coordinator is necessary (and process to do so) – Jim Hlava; Brad Baker seconds; approved
– Brad Baker, Jim Hlava, Sue Stringer, and Mike Beard volunteer to be on Committee

ENA 2018 Project Updates

COMMUNITY GARDENING CO-OP
Guest Presentation: Heru-Ka Anu & Shireen Hasan

  • Proposal to start a Community Gardening Co-Op that would educate, provide resources, and assistance in establishing both home gardens and community (plot) gardening with these goals: grow food collectively, empower our community with a degree of independence, nourish our bodies, connect us to Nature, beautify our community, unite our community
  • Co-Op uses organic seeds, soil, and fertilizers only; each Co-Op member chooses their own level of endeavor
  • Events throughout the growing season to involve community: seed planting ceremony, work events, harvesting ceremony, distributing harvest, marketing extra produce and harvest to raise money for community projects
  • Proposed paid staff: Shireen Hasan (Co-Op Manager); Sba, Heru-Ka Anu (Guiding Consultant)
  • Membership costs $15 per month in dues; in addition to fee, members pay for labor and supplies (home gardener) and plot (community gardeners)
  • Scholarship available for folks with hardship
  • Projected to generate at least 50 members
  • 6 month projected budget is $3,000
  • Requesting $1,200 grant from ENA for Gardening Co-Op starting costs

Discussion: 

  • Sue asks if Co-Op would work just within Eliot or surrounding neighborhoods? Shireen says that they’d start in Eliot and then reach out to other neighborhoods.
  • Jessica says that she reads a lot of grant proposals and thinks that the starting costs sound fair. She suggests that the Co-Op consider and note where materials will be stored when writing grant proposals.
  • Jim asks what success would look like: number of members, volume of food, number of people participating who join and learn, growing knowledge base about gardening skills, etc.
  • Monica asks if the co-op would mainly work in people’s homes. Heru says that they will work in 3 environments: within the home, in people’s yards, and in community plots

*Motion to table vote on community gardening co-op until April meeting and combine information from Albina Cooperative Garden and Community Gardening Co-Op to present for general meeting and vote – Sue Stringer; Jimmy Wilson seconds; approved

ANNUAL CLEAN-UP EVENT – May 19th, 10am-2pm
Discussion: 

  • Monica says that price of a canopy for the community flea market idea is too cost prohibitive; looking for another location for the community flea and probably going to have it in late Summer as a separate event; Clean-Up will happen as usual
  • Sue says we are looking to make lawn signs to advertise for the Clean Up; hoping to vote to keep the Clean Up on the same weekend every year so that signs can be reused every year

*Motion to make Clean Up event always on the 3rd Saturday in May – Sue Stringer; Wes Ayers seconds; approved

ENA EMAIL LIST

  • Monica says email lists have been combined into a large MailChimp list to send communications out to neighbors. We need to choose an email address that communications would coming from.

*Vote between neighbor@eliotneighborhood.org and hello@eliotneighborhood.org; Neighbor email address has majority of votes

Meeting adjourned 8:40pm

Guests/Residents present: Jessica Rojas (NECN), Jerry Quenton, Heru-Ka Anu, Mike Beard

Board Members present: Anna Daggett, Brad Baker, Jere Fitterman, Jim Hlava, Jimmy Wilson, Maggie Gardner, Monica Choy Salazar, Patricia Montgomery, Shireen Hasan, Sue Stringer, Wes Ayers

Advertisements

One thought on “Board Meeting Minutes 2018-03-19

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s