ENA Board Meeting Minutes — May 20

ENA Board Meeting minutes May 20, 2019

St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church

NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:30pm sharp. Introductions to follow.

Motion to accept the minutes for March (Jere, Sue 2nds with one change: Ricky’s announcements for lunch is at 11am, not 1pm.) Board votes to approve.

NEW BUSINESS:

EMSWDC – no-show

Urban Design Workshop. 

  • Jonathan introduces the topic and the main presenter, Rick Potestio. Miles contributes. Goal of the initiative is for growth with intention. Neighbors should gather in workshops to define how growth looks in their own neighborhoods. Their aim is to give control to residents by empowering them to make recommendations to the city. This is a grassroots movement, not to become part of the planning department
  • They have been auditing neighborhoods around the city to take stock of the current environment, see what’s working, what’s not. They plan to hold charettes to gain insights and create enthusiasm and involvement.
  • They want to use Eliot as a neighborhood to test their processes and approach, and hope to use ENA as a springboard to reach the rest of the community
  • Our questions center on process and inclusion. Invitation and support for a broad group of attendees. Broad support around goal to have outreach so that workshop includes more than just the board. That outreach needs to be done by the Urban Design Team before we approve or agree to be a part of it — IF we approve or agree to be a part of it.
  • Motion to make Jonathan the liason from this group to the board, and any requests this group has of the board. (Maggie, Sue 2nds the motion.) Board votes to approve.

Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air

  • Jere speaks to how to address clean air in our neighborhood, especially as new research is published. The Diesel Bill has money that is supposed to go to help offset negative effects, or help businesses transition to newer, more efficient equipment.
  • Clean Air is hoping to build and arm grass-roots, neighbor volunteers to go to local businesses and ask them to do something about their fleets. 
  • Between 4-9 businesses in the neighborhood are eligible to get reimbursement dollars
  • Jere would like to start a subcommittee called Eliot E-ACT for all clean air topics, in general. First action will be this Diesel Bill focus, second action is for Metro involvement. Ongoing topics will inevitably arise.
  • Motion that Jere will reach out to neighbors to find interest for involvement and dedication to be on subcommittee, then allow them to vote within for their own leadership. (Sue, Johnny 2nds). Board votes to approve.

Linnton Environmental Advocacy for Clean Air Team

  • Group wants to obtain building to be the center of education for Clean Air
  • They want ENA to sign letter of support for the building
  • Jere will send letter around for all to read, we will vote later, after everyone has had a chance to read.

Treasurer:

  • $81 expense for food
  • $1.21 interest paid, income
  • Albina Garden’s treasurer has been in touch with Jim about how the money will be spent. They will send quarterly reports to us, so we can understand how it is being used.
    • Jimmy wants a receipt from them, on their letterhead, that they received the check from us. Record that they received a grant check from ENA at the board meeting (05.20.19) in the amount of $1,750.00 from Ena. It was cashed on 06.07.19, per Jim Hvala.

Livability

  • Trees are being planted  – 48 trees w/in Boise and Eliot!! 20 were from our livability committee.

Outreach

  • Chief Outlaw meeting. 50-60 Leaders of people of color attended. 
  • 100 sworn officers retiring, 100 non sworn-in officer’s position that are open and available… Many are curious about the real reason. Why are they retiring in such large numbers? They say it’s because they do not feel supported, wages are low
  • The meeting was a good conversation about how to move forward. One person can’t fix everything. Needs to be group effort. Good intro/liason between Jimmy and Cheif Outlaw
  • Police Strategic Plan Community Loopback meetings will cover police strategic planning process and framework, and get input through small group discussions
    • Date: Saturday, May 25th
      Time: 10:00 am – 11:30 am
      Location: East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Ave, Portland, OR 97216
    • Date: Thursday, May 30th
      Time: 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
      Location: Terrell Hall Rm 206, PCC Cascade Campus, 5624 N Borthwick Ave, Portland, OR 97217
  • Jimmy, Jonathan, Sue and Quanita went and fed  40-60 people at the walnut park shelter. 

Newsletter

  • We have new advertisers! We’re now running at a profit!
  • Discussion about the newsletter article that sparked comments from neighbors. Article used words that were offensive to some.
    • Comments and corrections have been posted online
    • Comments will be included in the next newsletter as a letter to the editor

Equity Training

  • Agreement we want to keep the initiative going
  • Angela Kremer offered to help us find a moderator so we can talk about what we need
  • Further discussion at June meeting

LUTC

  • Sending a letter to PBOT about pedestrian death and goal for zero pedestrian deaths
  • Two new members to LUTC, Monique and Zach. Board approves

NECN

  • Code changes are underway
  • ENA can’t remain a 501c-3 under new arrangement. We will need to re-write bylaws. While we’re at it, we should 
    • review article 4 re: general membership
    • Review article 5 re: definition of officer’s roles
    • Boundary will be re-written

Communication/website:

  • Thursday has audited the website and found that we may need to adjust our plan with wordpress to better optimize the site and experience
  • She plans to do a training on how to use wordpress
  • She plans to do a content review, audit for sensitivity, clarity, thoroughness
  • She would like approval to accomplish “low hanging fruit”
    • Upgrade where she can, for accessibility of content
  • She needs new payment info (from Jim)

Adjourn 8:27 

—-

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman,  Shireen Hasan, Jonathan Konkol, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jim Hlava,  Maggie Gardner, Jimmy Wilson, Johnny Engleheart, Patricia Montgomery

Guests: Thursday Bram, Rick Potestio and Miles, Ricky, Angela Kremer

Board Meeting Minutes 2019-03-18

ENA Board Meeting minutes March 18, 2019
St. Philip Deacon Episcopal Church
NE 120 Knott St.

Meeting called to order at 6:40pm. Introductions to follow.

Presentation for Oasis of Change (Kathryn and Dov)

  • opening community based urban farm, restaurant, teaching kitchen, community center, live music… relax and enjoy. Body work (massage, acupuncture). Subscription model, a place for families, child-care on site. ($20 date night!)
  • Fully open April 20… first dinner on April 19
  • oasisforchange.com
  • Property on the west side of Williams at Tillamook (by Elk’s Lodge)

COMMITTE REPORTS

Treasurer – Jim

  • Not a ton of activity to report, just a few deposits from newsletter ads. More updates next moth

Community Relations – Jimmy

  • PSAC meeting – attended by: Boise Chair (David), Overlook, Humboldt, Eliot, Piedmont…
    • initiated effort for all to come together, to work together
    • wants to collaborate with at least 10 neighborhood associations (Eliot, Boise, Lloyd, Irvington, Sabin, Woodlawn, Humboldt, King, Overlook, Vernon
    • Coined the acronym TURN: Togetherness, Uniting, Reaching, Neighborhood
    • Next meeting (info offered by Linda):
      • April 11 4415 NE 87th Ave (6-8pm)
      • July 11 @ 449 NE Emerson
      • Oct 10 and 4415 NE 87th Ave
  • Chief Outlaw presentation at Emmanuel Church, April 2
    • goal to actually get input from community, true involvement. Efforts are gaining traction.

Newsletter – Sue

  • Spring newsletter went to print this morning!
  • Need submissions for next issue by June 1
  • Gained Meyer Memorial Trust as new advertiser for full year
  • Green Drop Garage also wants to get involved
  • new advertisers always welcome

LUTC – Brad/Jonathan

  • no real updates this time… attempt to get Boise (David) here next time
  • Jimmy wants to keep this a priority, light the fire under the feet of this topic
  • Jonathan to email maps to board with our decision of the solution we propose
  • goal to have this meeting in the next week or two

SEAT – Brad

  • Neighborhood watch training scheduled for the end of April, for neighbors in the immediate area
  • Thursday has an idea for other training to add to that

Livability – Jere

  • Litter pickup on April 20 (Earth Day) meet at BreadWinner Cafe. Event is posted on SOLV’s website
  • Jodi Guth is the new Block Adopt lead
  • 3 separate tree plantings are also underway

NECN – Jere

  • NECN budget has been slashed
  • they asked us to NOT take money for communication that was once promised ($500), as their belts are tight. We usually use this for newsletter, but confident we can do without
  • Larger conversation about how Community and Civic Life office wants to get rid of neighborhood associations
    • We question why these groups are mutually exclusive? Why not both affinity groups and geographic groups be present under Community and Civic Life?
    • ONI and PSAC say its our job to communicate with our neighbors – this is our biggest value.
    • We need to re-assess our methods of community. Maybe we need another Community Conversation Feedback night to find out how best to serve. Consider for April meeting.

Website – Thursday

  • Overall transition to take over administration of site has gone smoothly. What next?
  • add advertising?
  • what additional content can we provide?
  • Suggest a survey to help understand our audience – to be done for April meeting
  • Intention to do a full website audit, and potential revamp of content in general. Larger conversation for another time.

ENA Grant Committee – Jere

  • no updates

Mural on MLK –

  • Overall project process has been established. Will need much more info to proceed.
  • a subcommittee will guide process of choosing artists. Would like to invite 3 artists to submit a prospectus. We offer to pay each artist $300 for their submission.

7th Avenue Greenway – Sue

  • Nick Falbo led a meeting, discussed that City is leaning toward doing greenway on 9th, but no road improvements there. Cyclists ride through Irving park, no re-direct.
  • City will do improvements on 7th; adding speedbumps, crosswalks, stop signs, etc.
  • Decision made because major destinations better served by 9th greenway

Walnut Park

  • Jere unable to do April meal. Anyone else want to lead it?
  • Sue potentially lead for April 19th, will follow up with Jere separately
  • Jimmy proposed board fund April meal up to $150. Sue seconds. Board votes in favor.
  • proposal to have group cooking session for meal in May or June

NEW BUSINESS

Co-Chair Nomination

 

  • Jere propose to nominate Jimmy as Co-Chair of board with her. Jimmy desires a stronger foundation for his outreach efforts. Jere will maintain central communications. Maggie to 2nd the nomination. Vote to approve passes.
  • Shireen shows interest in Outreach position. Sue proposes to nominate Shireen for Community Outreach position, starting this month, with the understanding that more specific duties of the role are to be outlined in April. Brad to second. Board votes in favor.

 

Additoinal

  • I-5 freeway expansion – visit website to make your voice heard!
  • January minutes edited
  • February minutes approved

meeting adjourned at 8:55p

Board Attendance: Jere Fitterman, Jimmy Wilson, Sue Stringer, Brad Baker, Jonathan Konkol, Maggie Gardner, Jim Hlava, Shireen Hasan, Darren Holcomb.

Guests: Thursday Graham, Catherine and Dove (Oasis of Change), Linda Kuhen, Adam Baker

 

Eliot Board Members Serving Up Meals and Providing Community at Walnut Park Shelter

For the last few months, the Eliot Neighborhood Association board members have been participating in providing and serving dinner once a month to the residents at Walnut Park Shelter. According to the website for Multnomah County, “The Walnut Park Shelter, at 5329 NE Martin Luther King Blvd., will provide nighttime accommodations for up to 80 people, with special priority for veterans, people 55 and older, those with disabilities, and people already experiencing unsheltered homelessness in the neighborhood. The shelter will open daily at 5 p.m. and close at 7:30 a.m.” There is no kitchen available on site but the staff is friendly and the residents appreciate the meals served.

Continue reading Eliot Board Members Serving Up Meals and Providing Community at Walnut Park Shelter

Letter from the Editor

Welcome Spring! Soon Summer will be here before we know it. The year is moving along faster than I can keep up. I do look forward to the nicer weather and being able to stop and pause in the warmth of the sun, take a walk through the neighborhood and enjoy all the beautiful gardens and spring flowers. My crocuses are plentiful this year and the tulips are preparing for a fantastic show of color. Soon we will have new trees around some businesses and homes in Eliot to add to the urban landscape (see page 10).

Continue reading Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Chair

Hey, Neighbor!

What has your Eliot Neighborhood Association, ENA, Board been up to in the last year?

In this time when folks are questioning the form and function of City government, neighborhoods continue with the work of bringing neighbors together around plans, issues, and events that influence their quality of life. The current Board is action oriented. We work to protect the aesthetic, cultural values and diversity of the neighborhood and promote projects, programs, and activities to improve the general wellbeing and viability at the heart of the community (from the ENA Bylaws).

Continue reading Letter from the Chair

Opportunity for Dialogue with Chief Danielle Outlaw on April 2nd

PLEASE NOTE: THIS MEETING HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL THE END OF APRIL. Check back for updated information.

 

What: Community Forum
Where: Emmanuel Church 1033 N Sumner St
When: April 2nd, 6:00 to 8:00pm
Why: To have more positive engagement and communication with public safety employees and hear about the city’s five-year plan

Continue reading Opportunity for Dialogue with Chief Danielle Outlaw on April 2nd

Say Goodbye to 2018 and Welcome to 2019

Change is the only constant in life” (Heraclitus, c. 535 BC – 475 BC)

We are changing, it’s a fact. We always have been changing. Our neighborhood is one of the six fastest-growing neighborhoods in Portland and we continue to evolve demographically as well as architecturally. A quick search on the web will enlighten all our new Eliot residents. (Check out the list of web pages at the end of this letter)

Continue reading Say Goodbye to 2018 and Welcome to 2019

Within and Beyond the Borders of Eliot: Meet Your New Eliot Neighborhood Association Board for 2019

By Sue Stringer

This column usually features businesses, in Eliot and just beyond our neighborhood’s borders to help our residents learn what exciting businesses and opportunities are located in and around our amazing neighborhood. However, in this issue, we focus on the people that make up the Eliot Neighborhood Association Board.

Our Eliot Neighborhood Association board is made up of 12 members this year. Most live in Eliot but some just work in Eliot and live in other neighborhoods. We have included most of them here so you can get to know them better. Also, you can always stop by a neighborhood association meeting and come meet us in person!

Continue reading Within and Beyond the Borders of Eliot: Meet Your New Eliot Neighborhood Association Board for 2019

Important Contact Information

Our Eliot Livability Team has been busy working with businesses, residents and the city to clean up our neighborhood. Here are a list of some helpful phone numbers and websites to contact the city about issues you may have around your property or that you notice in the neighborhood. Save this for future reference and thanks for helping keep Eliot clean and safe.

Continue reading Important Contact Information

10th Annual Eliot Clean Up is May 19

Cargo Bike
Eliot resident bikes in donations at the 2017 cleanup.

It’s that time of year again when we get the urge to do a bit of spring cleaning and get rid of all that clutter that has been gathering in our closets, basements and garages.  How convenient that the Eliot Neighborhood Association is organizing its 10th annual spring clean-up event where you can bring items that you no longer want that someone else may have been pining for and throw away that broken chair that’s taking up valuable real estate in your shed.

Continue reading 10th Annual Eliot Clean Up is May 19

Meet the Board – Jere Fitterman

Photo of Jere Fitterman
Jere Fitterman

“Meet the board” is a series of posts to help you get to know the members of your Eliot Neighborhood Association Board.

Jere has lived in Eliot since Jan 2009. She has been on the board for two years as Co-Chair with Patricia Montgomery. This year she is the Chair. Jere wanted to join the board because she wanted to get to know more neighbors and get involved in local issues and events.

Continue reading Meet the Board – Jere Fitterman