These twin houses on the corner of Union and Knott were built in 1900. By 1929 Union had already become a busy street and the houses had started the transition from residential to commercial. “Dr Muck Dentist” occupied the second floor of the house on the corner. Over the course of his dental career Dr Earl C Muck had his office in different nearby locations on Union.
This 1933 picture shows the entrance to the Egyptian Theater located on Union (MLK) near Brazee. The neighborhood theater was built in 1924 and owned and operated by the Graeper family. Originally it was home to live vaudeville style shows and later in the 30’s was showing motion pictures. The building operated as a theater until 1962 then as a warehouse until 1989.