Eliot Neighborhood Association Board meeting minutes April 20, 2020

Chairs: Jimmy Wilson & Allan Rudwick

6:30 pm via ZOOM

Board Members Attending:

  • Allan Rudwick
  • Jonathan Konkol
  • Jim Hlava
  • Sue  Stringer
  • Shireen Hasan
  • Jere Fitterman
  • Jimmy Wilson
  • Jennifer Wilcox
  • Pat Montgomery

Other individuals attending:

  • Aaron Brown of No More Freeways PDX
  • Scott Kocher
  • Monique Gaskins
  • Bradley Baker (Land Use Transportation)
  • Brooke Babcock (Clean Air Committee)
  • Mary Peveto (Executive Director Clean Air)

Meeting Called to Order: 6:35

Welcome & Introductions

The Freeway Fight (Aaron Brown, No More Freeways PDX)

Aaron gave some background information on ODOT’s Rose Quarter Improvement Project.  ODOT wants to expand the freeway, widening I-5 into the backyard of Harriet Tubman Middle School.  No More Freeways is working toward bringing ODOT to court about not being in compliance with laws. Two major tracks:

One track is the Governor’s Executive Order on Climate: Every government agency needs to be held responsible for climate impact. ODOT and OTC are covered by this executive order.

The second track is to focus on the impact on the local neighborhood, to argue that ODOT conducted a truncated environmental assessment

Is the Eliot neighborhood Association willing to be a part of these lawsuits?  We have as an association voted to oppose this several times in the past.

There was much discussion and many questions were raised about being a plaintiff including: What would being a plaintiff mean in this context? How will this affect insurance?

What are the risks? What are other options?

What personal actions would we be expected to take? The tasks we would be responsible for as a plaintiff include: communications, providing quotes to newspapers. Probably not a lot of asks as a whole group, periodic check ins with the organization, making decisions as they come up. 

What is the timeline? Hope to move in the next few weeks, then as long as the project is in process. ODOT claims they will break ground in 2023.

It was decided to move on to the other items on the agenda and provide more background information to members of the committee to help them make a decision.

Neighbors for Clean Air Presentation (Mary Peveto)

Mary gave an overview of Neighbors for Clean Air. They have worked with Harriet Tubman on clean air concerns for years.  They have also worked with the school board to develop an HVAC indoor air quality system to protect the children.  They have an NIH grant to understand total quantity of air impact. 

Their focus: everything they look through is about air quality. Their most recent fight was to petition the state to do rule making around indirect sources of pollution. The single biggest contributor to pollution is using older diesel engines.  HB2007 will regulate the trucks in the Portland metro area. Most diesel pollution comes from non-road sources: construction, rail and marine. They are looking at options right now for how to address this issue.  Want to put the problem of diesel on our radar.  About to launch a new website to help explain this to people and help them understand the problem with diesel air pollution. Diesel the most deadly thing in our air.

Mary suggested we read the series in the Oregonian: Polluted by Money. https://projects.oregonlive.com/polluted-by-money/

It is a political problem.  Associations of contractors have been able to hold off any changes in laws.  We are a dumping ground for old equipment because we have no regulations.  Outside Oregon professional interests are trying to hold the line against Oregon’s progressive interests.

Strategy question: would approaching companies individually trying to have them change their ways be effective?  Mary did that work with Vigor (the shipping company) and made significant changes.  But the Port of Portland won’t make those changes.  Mary states she is happy to work with us if there is a company we want to work with.  She can help them get government grants to make changes.

It was decided that Mary and Jimmy will sit down together to discuss options.  

COVID-19 – Updates on how everyone is doing / things we need right now.

The board members did a general check in about how they were doing during the current crisis and what thoughts or ideas people had. Some highlights included:

  • there is a testing site at One Medical in the parking lot of the Vancouver Baptist Church.  Have to join One Medical to get tested. They are offering free membership for the first 30 days.  An interesting medical model.  The Oasis of Change behind the Elks Lodge are also doing virus testing.
  • Jimmy received a Tri-Met Lift bus. How can he use it for COVID? If anyone has an idea let him know. Could people donate clothes and use it as a traveling clothing center?  Could also pick up food and deliver it.
  • Meals are what is needed because a lot of food sites have shut down. Meals on Wheels has also cut back. It was suggested we put something on the website about how to volunteer with Meals on Wheels

Updates

 – NECN update: pushing out a weekly email of resources.  They have an excellent website and their newsletter is on the website. Resources for COVID 19 which includes info about employment, money and housing, and how to get info about help.  They got statements from 92 out of 94 candidates in the upcoming election. Very informative.

 – Treasurer’s report: we are still slowly losing money month after month.  The first three months of this year just over $1000.  Balance: $8300.  Was someone going to reach out to the Blazers?  That is the only source of revenue that we could potentially have. Bringing the Blazer money back should be a top priority.  Jimmy tried to reach out to the person who did it in the past.  He will reach out to Angela to find out who to connect with.  She can potentially help him figure it out. Jere also offered to help. 

Newsletter: Does it make sense to produce 4 issues of the newsletter this year?  Will we have advertisers?  Sue has almost covered the costs for the summer issue.  Have some good ideas for content as well. Will know by the May meeting on what she has or needs.  Now would be a good time to interview neighbors and spotlight on people.

 – Land Use: Not much to tell. Had a short meeting, agreed to move forward with the Rose Quarter Project lawsuit.  Allan will host a meeting to provide background info about the project for those that need it. 

Webmaster– call for a new one: Thursday stepped down from being webmaster.  Sue is currently covering and enjoying learning WordPress.

 Jere, Sue and Allan will coordinate about a communication strategy.

Next month will meet via Zoom again. 

Adjourned 8:31.

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board meeting minutes May 18, 2020

Chairs: Jimmy Wilson & Allan Rudwick

Monday, June 15 2020

6:30-8:00 pm

Board Members Present:

Allan Rudwick

Jimmy Wilson

Jonathan Konkol

Shireen Hasan

Jim Hlava

Sue Stringer

Darren Holcomb

Others Present:

William Francis (Community Cycling Center)

Cameron Whitten (Black Resilience Fund)

Meeting called to order at 6:33pm

1 Welcome & Introductions

2. William Francis of the Community Cycling Center spoke.  The Community Cycling Center’s mission is to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.  More than just a bike shop, they do a holiday bike drive, donate bikes each year, run a repair shack in the New Columbia Village, offer a low income community discount and several other programs.  They are located on NE Alberta street. 

During the pandemic the Community Cycling Center is working towards providing mutual aid.  They are connected with a food pantry at the Rosa Parks school and another pantry in the Cully neighborhood.  They are reaching 91 families delivering food by bicycle each week.  There is a team of 6 volunteers making the deliveries.  The idea is to bring food to individuals who may not be able to go to pantries for a variety of reasons. 

They are looking for a food pantry to partner with in our neighborhood. There is one at the Boise Eliot School.  Immaculate Heart church has a food pantry.  Saint Philip the Deacon gives out food on Saturdays. They would also need to gather names of individuals or families in need.  They make their deliveries by bike so families need to be within a 1-2-mile radius.  Discussed putting an article up on the web about the program and then updating it for the fall newsletter.  Sue will put a brief ad in the summer issue of the newsletter to ask for individuals who are in need of support.  Shireen agreed to be the point person to help coordinate the neighborhood needs. Allan will also connect William to the Boise Eliot School as a way to gather names of families in need.

3. Cameron Whitten of the Black Resilience Fund spoke.  The fund was founded two weeks ago to create resources to provide immediate support to Black Portlanders. They have received over 3000 applications for support.  Their goal is to raise $1 million, and they are more than halfway there.  They want to support a path toward healing and reconciliation to communities; create joy and build community.  Their model is culturally specific.  People who apply are being interviewed by Black Portlanders and funds are delivered by Black Portlanders.  It is creating a way for individuals to be more connected. The website: BlackResiliencefund.com has lots of great stories.  The fund is solving immediate needs for neighbors who are currently suffering.  Becoming a program of the nonprofit Brown Hope. Jimmy stated it was very encouraging to see this work.  He suggested that Cameron speak to the mayor.  Black 211 workers are able to volunteer their time to help with Black Resilience Fund.  It is a very empowering experience for many people.  Sue suggested putting something on the website and also an article in the newsletter in the fall.  Over 600 people applied to volunteer. Two co-founders. Shireen moved we donate $1000 to the Black Resilience Fund.  Darren secondedMotion passed unanimously.

4 Newsletter updates: Sue is finishing up the layout right now.  Goal is to get it in everyone’s mailbox by July 1st.  We have 12 pages which include interviews with essential workers, info about I-5, COVID-19 testing and many other articles.  We are covering the cost for the issue though we are light on advertising. Would love to get more voices from the community for the next issue.  Jimmy gave a statement about the protests.  Sue reached out to Jimmy Wilson, Shireen Hasan, and Patricia Montgomery and Monique Gaskins to make sure the Black perspective was included in the newsletter.  Jimmy wanted to make sure Sue explained why she asked those individuals in particular.  She stated did not want to say the wrong thing or go in the wrong direction in the newsletter.  Discussed the importance of honoring this moment.  Jimmy said we are all in this together.  Sue shared Jimmy’s statement to the group and a few edits were made.

5. Statement of support: Allan sent out a statement of support for the Black Lives Matter movement before the meeting. The idea is to acknowledge that we have been a part of the problem in the past and that we want to work to make amends and promote an anti-racist society.  The group reviewed and edited the statement.  We also agreed to add a paragraph to the masthead of the newsletter.

6 Ongoing business:

  • Land Use Committee did not meet this month.  Nothing to report.
  • Stanton Street have not been able to meet with the police.  The police are not able to commit at this time because they are busy with the protests.
  • Livability committee: Adopt a Block is the focus at this point. Do $100 gift certificate drawing quarterly for individuals who are doing the Adopt A Block.  Sue will talk with Jodi about how to connect the committee more closely with the Board.  Jimmy stated he feels like he is stuck and not making progress with the Blazers. Jere gave Jimmy a list of names and an email chain but he does not know those individuals.  He does not want to contact someone he has not been introduced to.  Jimmy is trying to get support from the Board so he can do his job. Karla Gosnell has had the most recent contact with the Blazers but we don’t know if her contact is even still with the Blazers.  Who can make this connection?  Sue will reach out to Karla to make a connection with Jimmy and the Blazers
  • Jere is stepping down from the board.  She does not feel she can make the time commitment. 
  • Allan listened into the Emanuel Displaced Persons 2 Zoom call.  They are a group of descendants of the un-kept promises from that era. EDP2 is asking the Eliot Neighborhood Association to sign onto a letter that would negate the current process for the Hill Block.  Jimmy stated that Emanuel has not followed through on their promises.  He also pointed out that there are Blacks fighting against Blacks, both groups have ancestors who were affected by the displacements.  As a neighborhood association we have asked for more land to be donated. What is our goal? Jimmy suggested that we need to protect our name and not put our name on anything until we know it is right. Shireen suggested that Byrd come to another meeting to clarify. Some people in the group decided to stay out of the conflict between the two groups. Shireen did not agree with this decision.
  • April Minutes: Allan moved the minutes be approved as corrected, Sue seconded. Motion passed.
  • May Minutes: Allan moved that the minutes be approved as corrected., Jonathan seconded. Motion passed.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50

Eliot Neighborhood Association Board meeting minutes June 15, 2020

Chairs: Jimmy Wilson & Allan Rudwick

Monday, June 15 2020

6:30-8:00 pm

Board Members Present:

Allan Rudwick

Jennifer Wilcox

Jimmy Wilson

Jonathan Konkol

Shireen Hasan

Jim Hlava

Sue Stringer

Darren Holcomb

Others Present:

William Francis (Community Cycling Center)

Cameron Whitten (Black Resilience Fund)

Meeting called to order at 6:33pm

1 Welcome & Introductions

2. William Francis of the Community Cycling Center spoke.  The Community Cycling Center’s mission is to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.  More than just a bike shop, they do a holiday bike drive, donate bikes each year, run a repair shack in the New Columbia Village, offer a low income community discount and several other programs.  They are located on NE Alberta street. 

During the pandemic the Community Cycling Center is working towards providing mutual aid.  They are connected with a food pantry at the Rosa Parks school and another pantry in the Cully neighborhood.  They are reaching 91 families delivering food by bicycle each week.  There is a team of 6 volunteers making the deliveries.  The idea is to bring food to individuals who may not be able to go to pantries for a variety of reasons. 

They are looking for a food pantry to partner with in our neighborhood. There is one at the Boise Eliot School.  Immaculate Heart church has a food pantry.  Saint Philip the Deacon gives out food on Saturdays. They would also need to gather names of individuals or families in need.  They make their deliveries by bike so families need to be within a 1-2-mile radius.  Discussed putting an article up on the web about the program and then updating it for the fall newsletter.  Sue will put a brief ad in the summer issue of the newsletter to ask for individuals who are in need of support.  Shireen agreed to be the point person to help coordinate the neighborhood needs. Allan will also connect William to the Boise Eliot School as a way to gather names of families in need.

3. Cameron Whitten of the Black Resilience Fund spoke.  The fund was founded two weeks ago to create resources to provide immediate support to Black Portlanders. They have received over 3000 applications for support.  Their goal is to raise $1 million, and they are more than halfway there.  They want to support a path toward healing and reconciliation to communities; create joy and build community.  Their model is culturally specific.  People who apply are being interviewed by Black Portlanders and funds are delivered by Black Portlanders.  It is creating a way for individuals to be more connected. The website: BlackResiliencefund.com has lots of great stories.  The fund is solving immediate needs for neighbors who are currently suffering.  Becoming a program of the nonprofit Brown Hope. Jimmy stated it was very encouraging to see this work.  He suggested that Cameron speak to the mayor.  Black 211 workers are able to volunteer their time to help with Black Resilience Fund.  It is a very empowering experience for many people.  Sue suggested putting something on the website and also an article in the newsletter in the fall.  Over 600 people applied to volunteer. Two co-founders. Shireen moved we donate $1000 to the Black Resilience Fund.  Darren secondedMotion passed unanimously.

4 Newsletter updates: Sue is finishing up the layout right now.  Goal is to get it in everyone’s mailbox by July 1st.  We have 12 pages which include interviews with essential workers, info about I-5, COVID-19 testing and many other articles.  We are covering the cost for the issue though we are light on advertising. Would love to get more voices from the community for the next issue.  Jimmy gave a statement about the protests.  Sue reached out to Jimmy Wilson, Shireen Hasan, and Patricia Montgomery and Monique Gaskins to make sure the Black perspective was included in the newsletter.  Jimmy wanted to make sure Sue explained why she asked those individuals in particular.  She stated did not want to say the wrong thing or go in the wrong direction in the newsletter.  Discussed the importance of honoring this moment.  Jimmy said we are all in this together.  Sue shared Jimmy’s statement to the group and a few edits were made.

5. Statement of support: Allan sent out a statement of support for the Black Lives Matter movement before the meeting. The idea is to acknowledge that we have been a part of the problem in the past and that we want to work to make amends and promote an anti-racist society.  The group reviewed and edited the statement.  We also agreed to add a paragraph to the masthead of the newsletter.

6 Ongoing business:

  • Land Use Committee did not meet this month.  Nothing to report.
  • Stanton Street have not been able to meet with the police.  The police are not able to commit at this time because they are busy with the protests.
  • Livability committee: Adopt a Block is the focus at this point. Do $100 gift certificate drawing quarterly for individuals who are doing the Adopt A Block.  Sue will talk with Jodi about how to connect the committee more closely with the Board.  Jimmy stated he feels like he is stuck and not making progress with the Blazers. Jere gave Jimmy a list of names and an email chain but he does not know those individuals.  He does not want to contact someone he has not been introduced to.  Jimmy is trying to get support from the Board so he can do his job. Karla Gosnell has had the most recent contact with the Blazers but we don’t know if her contact is even still with the Blazers.  Who can make this connection?  Sue will reach out to Karla to make a connection with Jimmy and the Blazers
  • Jere is stepping down from the board.  She does not feel she can make the time commitment. 
  • Allan listened into the Emanuel Displaced Persons 2 Zoom call.  They are a group of descendants of the un-kept promises from that era. EDP2 is asking the Eliot Neighborhood Association to sign onto a letter that would negate the current process for the Hill Block.  Jimmy stated that Emanuel has not followed through on their promises.  He also pointed out that there are Blacks fighting against Blacks, both groups have ancestors who were affected by the displacements.  As a neighborhood association we have asked for more land to be donated. What is our goal? Jimmy suggested that we need to protect our name and not put our name on anything until we know it is right. Shireen suggested that Byrd come to another meeting to clarify. Some people in the group decided to stay out of the conflict between the two groups. Shireen did not agree with this decision.
  • April Minutes: Allan moved the minutes be approved as corrected, Sue seconded. Motion passed.
  • May Minutes: Allan moved that the minutes be approved as corrected., Jonathan seconded. Motion passed.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50